SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

If money was not really a object

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow just had a look at those naglers pretty expensive but looking at all the reviews about them they seem worth the money,are all your eyepeices nagler Michael ?

No:-

Nagler T4 22mm and 17mm

Vixen LVW, 42mm, 13mm and 8mm
Vixen NLV, 12mm, 10mm and 9mm

Orthoscopic (volcano top) 9mm and 7mm

Radian, 10mm

TMB II, 6mm

Plössl, 32mm (Meade 4000) and 25mm (Celestron - came with the scope)

Wow just had a look at those naglers pretty expensive but looking at all the reviews about them they seem worth the money,are all your eyepeices nagler Michael ?

Naglers are excellent ultra wide angle eyepieces but quite a few in the Nagler range are not too practical if you need to wear glasses when observing. The 22mm Type 4 Nagler that Mr Spock / Michael has is an exception to this because Tele Vue made the Type 4 Naglers more suitable for glasses wearers.

Excellent well I'm off now mate cause my little boy has just woke up for his night time feed I'm definatly going to get a nagler t4 for my deep sky then 22mm and probably the 17mm as well if that's what you use,and then I will decide on what higher power ones to get for my planetary Veiwing I will have a look tomorrow at some point for the others and get back to you on this post if you don't mind mate.

You have been a great help tonight thanks very much mate I really appreciate it.

Remember those are 2" eyepieces so you will need to put a 2" diagonal on the scope if you do not already have one. When you come to consider filters you will want 2" filters for them as well.

I'm not arguing against them, just pointing out some realities :smiley:

Wouldn't consider anything below 7mm and that only for occasional use, don't think I have read of anyone with the 2.3mm.

Cannot think of a scope it would be useful or good in.

Since Mars is not around I cannot think of a use for the 7mm presently either. 7mm = 335x.

The 7mm is the concern, not sure it will be much use ever, but it might one day be.

Concerning Mars - read this on CN:

Mars – Planet that would always look like a mushy red smudge even if you were standing on it.

Now that is a very true description.

Suppose your bit of Essex is not near to Hertford is it ?

Concerning the eyepieces I have, I can think of 12-15 I have given away, damn just remembered 2 TMB's and a Burgess planetary I have also - 3 more, suppose I should count the 9mm ortho just in front of me. Better round that up to 50 eyepieces. I don't have to count the 2" one do I ?

Just for information, the 2.3mm would be useful in a short focal length Apo scope like the TV101 or NP101. These are 540mm focal length but capable of high mag so the 2.3 would give x234 in this scope. Televue do the 2 to 4mm zoom for similar purposes. Agreed though, these are totally unsuitable for Mark's scope, far too high mag.

Mars is a tricky customer, but a long way from being just a mushy red smudge. When at opposition, in a well set up scope and with good seeing conditions it is remarkable what you can see on the planet. Dark markings, ice caps, frosting etc. Mark's scope is more than capable of showing this at the right time.

For now though, Jupiter will be pretty good.

I would take Michael's advice in terms of useful eyepieces, you won't go wrong with a Type 4 or the SLV's, both lovely. You will need a 2" back and 2" diagonal if you don't already have one

Not a particularly demanding scope as eyepieces go, mind having said that I use 13mm and 21mm Ethos in my 10" SCT and convince myself they give better views than £80 - £100 eyepieces did but this may just be me trying to justify the expense  :grin:

Dave

I have the 13 Ethos and 26 Nagler in the same scope and they do give a better view! I'm sure of it. I have to be sure of it after spending all that!  :grin:

No, seriously, I do prefer them though the TeleVues really show their worth in the F4 Dob which is really ropey at the edge of field with Plossls etc.

Olly

I'm a great fan of Tele Vue eyepieces and I've owned most of the Naglers over the years. Great though they are, just in the interests of expectation, they don't actually show you anything that less expensive ones do. As Olly hints, in a slow scope like you 9.25" the differences can be hard to spot even if you are an experienced observer.

Just thought I'd mention that because there have been a few folks that have invested heavily and then been slightly underwhelmed that they could not see fainter deep sky objects, more planetary detail etc, etc.

If you are really determined to push the boat out the Tele Vue Delos and Ethos ranges might be of interest and the Pentax XW's. All are slightly better even than Naglers from my experience :evil:

You will need to budget more than your scope has cost for a few of the Ethos eyepieces though but you did title the thread "If money was not really a object" :rolleyes2:

....... or spend less than the cost of the 22mm Nagler on 5 Celestron X-Cel LX's and still have a heck of a lot of fun :smiley:

Choices, choices .... :evil:

What I need is to see a video or something of what I'm able to see through the different eyepeices to actually u durst and what I can expect to see with each type,because I don't mind spending big if I have to but I don't want to waste money if I'm not really going to know the difference between them (my brain hurts) lol

Blimey it's so confusing lol ,well my scope cost me just under £2000 I've got a headache where I've been thinking and trying to understand it all lol

Yes it is, and ultimately you just have to go with something!

I have not used this scope, but Michael has so personally I would listen to his advice. Your scope has a fairly narrow field of view, but the 22mm nag will help by having an 82 degree afov and around a 2mm exit pupil which is ideal for Deep sky.

The 40mm becomes your finder, the 22 for DSO and the 10mm for planetary giving x235. You may want to consider a 12 or 14mm for nights of poorer seeing and for things like globular clusters

Mark, i would have a good look at getting a couple of these, nicely in budget and very sharp

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-slv-eyepieces.html

i would say 9mm and 18mm would get you started nicely, the 40mm that comes with the scope will be very useful for some deep sky, worry about 2" later once you know what works best for you

Try finding a local club and perhaps someone will allow you to use their eyepieces or look through their scope.

Videos don't really show you what it's really like.

Ok guys thanks a lot for all your help I really appreciate it.i will defo have a look at those jules thanx mate I'm off out for a few hours now with the family for dinner so I will come back on later at some point,thanks again everybody.

Archived