Zoom ep's with binoviewers

I don't know if it is worth mentioning but I recently looked in to buying binoviewers and came across mention that using them can take an inch off the aperture of a scope due to the natural inefficiency of prisms. I would have thought keeping to simpler design in eyepieces would help to reduce any further light loss. Just my thoughts but I'm sure someone will come along who is better informed.

Zoom eye pieces work fine in binoviewers and most used ones are pairs of Baader Mark 3 zooms.Dont know anything about the Orbinars,but i would guess these will work too.Issue might be your scope.90mm is a bit small diameter for binoviewers.you will end up actually only having a 3" scope with binoviewers, as binos do take off a bit of aperture.You would be better off getting a bit bigger aperture refractor for this.Something like 120mm.Still also your 90mm can be used for planetary.

Only downfall i could think of is the weight of zooms,but cant really say it is an issue.

Advantage: thats simple.you have one eye piece what can work in multiple focal length what means you dont need to pull them out to swap over.

Archived