Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

On the evening of the 17th March in the north of Scotland the dancing lights of the aurora filled the sky and put on a mesmerising show (despite the misty conditions). Attached are a few of many wide angle shots of the aurora I obtained that evening. If you look closely at the images you can see the Plough - which will give a sense of scale to these wide angle shots.

The images were taken near Strathy on the north coast of Scotland using an astro modded Canon 600D and 10-22mm Sigma wide angle lens (at 10mmFL).

post-23986-0-51631700-1428009514_thumb.j post-23986-0-19873400-1428009633.jpg

post-23986-0-20293100-1428009757_thumb.j

It's been a busy month for me, so it has taken a while to get a few pics processed. As a result these are not providing breaking news - I hope you enjoy seeing them nonetheless.

Cracking images Gordon, top left looks like its alive, quite birdlike.

Yeah - that's what I thought. Maybe a raptor hovering above the moor? It certainly seemed alive on the night - there was lots of movement.

I should maybe have said that you might have to view the images full size to see the stars of the Plough through the light pollution :grin:

That is fabulous.  Although I did read the title as Shoplifting Aurora !

Can I come and stay next time?

Shoplifting Aurora - :laugh:

Sure you can come and stay anytime gkec - plenty of sky and aurora for us all to share the view.

Beautiful images....like fine paintings

Cheers

Roger

Thanks Roger. With your location Roger I'm sure you appreciate that unlike paintings on the night the view was changing quite rapidly. It's good to capture a snapshot of the view as a keepsake though.

Archived