SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stacking very different frames

Hey guys,
I was interested in astrophotography, but I found that I didn't want to invest in a huge EQ mount just yet. I got myself an 80mm Apo, and everything needed to attach my dslr to it.

I have managed to take some very nice pictures of the moon, but with jupiter looking so good and saturn coming up soon, I was hoping I could take some nice shots.

I am on a non motorized mount (for the time being) and can only take single short exposure shots. Naturally between these shots, jupiter will travel across the view. I'm wondering if theres a program that could let me grab say, 20 dslr shots (of constantly realligning the planet in the center of the view with slight offsets in all the shots), and stack them.

I heard this was possible with filming, but I would much rather have the 24mp resolution of my pictures. Which program should I use and can this be done?

Thanks!

If you try and take 24mp shots of Jupiter, you're going to need one hell of a focal length, it just won't work with what you have.

You can take multiple pictures however and stack in Registax, as this will sort out and align each image.

Be prepared for a small pea on a large table type image though.

If you want to try planetary imaging, you're going to need to use a smaller chip device, such as a webcam.

You can find the Philips SPC900 for around £40 readily modded for a telescope if you look long enough.

EDIT: Just realised you're in Canada - does Canada's ebay have one available?

If you try and take 24mp shots of Jupiter, you're going to need one hell of a focal length, it just won't work with what you have.

You can take multiple pictures however and stack in Registax, as this will sort out and align each image.

Be prepared for a small pea on a large table type image though.

If you want to try planetary imaging, you're going to need to use a smaller chip device, such as a webcam.

You can find the Philips SPC900 for around £40 readily modded for a telescope if you look long enough.

EDIT: Just realised you're in Canada - does Canada's ebay have one available?

Hey Jonk!

I currently have a 600mm f/7.5 tube. I figured that adding a 2x barlow (or higher?) could get me close enough to get half decent shots. Also, for the sake of saving money, would recording from my DSLR work the same way?

Hi, if you do have an EQ mount unmotorized you can still hand track Jupiter in order to capture video, but you don't say what DSLR or Mount you have, so difficult to give proper advice.

A cheap webcam hooked up to a laptop with the free 'SharpCap 2" software will easily allow you to practice keeping the planet centered with rough PA technique but very good hand/eye/brain coordination. ie it is moving down and right so my hand needs to twist up and left, type of thing.

The main thing is that you have fun, and try everything with the kit you have, any image that you can produce today would have had Newton/da Vinci jumping over the Moon.

Hey Jonk!

I currently have a 600mm f/7.5 tube. I figured that adding a 2x barlow (or higher?) could get me close enough to get half decent shots. Also, for the sake of saving money, would recording from my DSLR work the same way?

If your DSLR does 'movie crop mode', you may be able to get some decent frames via a barlow.

If it doesn't, you should still be able to take individual frames and align / stack in Registax.

Try stacking 2 barlows (if you're happy with the stability!) to get a 'closer' view, although the brightness and clarity will drop. The atmospheric distorion will also be magnified.

One of the great things about all this is there are no set rules, you try what you like and if you're happy with the outcome, voila!

Archived