Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZAO II in ABS

YKSE

Very nice. I mustn't!

Actually I doubt with our seeing conditions whether you would see much difference over a BGO?

May be, may be not, maybe you can be sure after a long head-to-head comparison like John usually does :smiley:

Very tempting indeed but I've been there and done that! Sure the views in my 10" f6.3 on the EQ platform are as good or better.

If you can get the cooling sorted they are lovely scopes though. Excellent for planetary imaging.

Good price too, I've seen them up for over £2500 which is way too high but is based on the replacement being over £5k! That's a bit of a different beast though CF tube and other changes I think.

its a very purpose instrument thats for sure.it is a planetary killer tho and at a good price as new ones on OO website are priced a bit too steep.I think i will pass on that one too lol.

I might consider a high quality long focal length dob in the future.Something like 10" f7-8 or 12" F6-8 would be nice.But thats for future.For time being,i can say :I AM DONE :D (well still waiting on last bits to arrive)

i very much doubt you will see much of a difference

Are you sure? if you can clearly see the difference between a XO 5mm and BGO, you should be able to see that difference in ZAOII too, I presume.

Are you sure? if you can clearly see the difference between a XO 5mm and BGO, you should be able to see that difference in ZAOII too, I presume.

Please don't say that [emoji16]

Anyway, a bit too rich for me, I'm basically done too and just want to crack on using my kit. The Leica zoom is alleged to be somewhere close to the ZAO so that will do me.

I am just waiting for a Protostar curved vane support for the 12" f6 then I really am finished!!

I owned a TMB Supermonocentric (2nd run) for a while in the 5mm focal length and those are reported to get very close to ZAO optical performance. I believe they were made in Germany by a former Zeiss workshop. I ran the TMB side by side with a University Optics HD 5mm ortho which are pretty much identical to the Bader GO / Astro Hutech / Fujiyama Ortho and found there were some slight differences in the ease with which the subtlest features on Jupiter, Saturn and Mars could be seen under the best viewing conditions. Under more normal or sub-average conditions I could not see any differences. The TMB did not show me anything that the UO HD could not of course.

I did try a 6mm ZAO II a few years back at an SGL star party but it was only for a few minutes on Saturn through an F/15 refractor that was slight out of collimation so not enough experience to make any judgements there.

The TMB Supermonos are being produced again now for around £360 a throw if anyone is interested :smiley:

I'm sure the ZAO set will sell though as they are the best for the purist, no more will be made as far as we know and some folks will feel able to part with £1,500 or so for them.

i dont think 1500 gonna cut it John,its gonna be more or less towards the 2000 area.i will be very surprised if the owner agrees to sell them for 1500.But thats up to him isnt?

Difference i saw in XO was in the brief moment of above average seeing conditions and that was for few moments only and the difference was on Jupiter when i was able to see 2 more small bands what where not possible in BGO.However,I have to note that at that particular evening,seeing conditions where changing very drastically.Also we need to remember that XO was particularly made for Planetary observation in mind .(Mars opposition at the year of release of XO).In that case if we stick to the letter written,i will have to re-frase my words:

You will see a difference in ZAO2 ,but ONLY under exceptional seeing conditions.I doubt you will see much if any difference under regular,every day conditions,neither there will be better scatter control or better views provided if seeing conditions do not support that.However,this should not,by any circumstances, stop you from buying a set of ZAO2.These are legendary quality eye pieces and for a good reason.If you want to be a proud owner of a set,then by all means do so,as these eye pieces will not disappoint. :)

Hope this puts all the dots where they should be?

I think as already said conditions will make a difference, as for this set I think I would find the 4mm almost unuseable, I have a 5mm Hutech that I bought from Stu and that is really a tad over my limit. I also have read from a few seasoned observers on site and I agree you have to be in the mood for orthoscopics, I don't believe I would find even if the maker began with a Z that my opinion would change here, I do have to be in the mood and even then eyepiece times are  shorter.

Alan

Recently, one guy form Germany sold ZAO II set without barlow, but with ZAO I 25mm ahich is actually much more expensive than Zeiss barlow which comes in ZAO II set, all for 2000 euros.

Here is link....

http://forum.astronomie.de/phpapps/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1145845/Zeiss_ABBE_Okularsatz_1,25&quo#Post1145845

Very good price!

Archived