Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

acey

What is a dark site ?

11 hours ago, Charic said:

Same view as above, but two Months later, and the new street lights (LED) have made a big difference to my plot.
The original large sodium bowl is now a simple spot.
The 'runway' lights are just patio edge decoration, which can be switched off.

IMG_3844.JPG

If I saw that one evening, I'd be looking for large circular burn marks on the lawn and counting my kidneys the next morning.

• Haha 2

My view from aprox 345 to 195 degrees is normally quite good. The distance across the state where I live is at the best 200 miles. Orlando 80 miles to the north, so I do get lots of glow on the horizon. Biggest problem in the trouble area is a fire department next door with newly installed LED floods on two sides facing me.

3 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Orlando 80 miles to the north, so I do get lots of glow on the horizon

😞

I doubt there's any of mainland UK with the nearest city of 250,000 people 80 miles away outside the north-west coast of Scotland.

I remember being at Kielder Water for one of the dark sky camps....  some clouds came over later in the night and the only way to notice was that the stars were disappearing. otherwise, no discernable change.

On 22/01/2018 at 15:31, Captain Magenta said:

This matches my experience of my first properly dark site a couple of years ago in furthest SW Ireland, a couple of miles from Baltimore. Walking back from the pub one evening, I couldn’t actually make out most of the constellations, they were just drowned out in a sea of stars such as I'd never seen before, it was incredible. It was at that exact moment I decided to re-indulge my interest in Astronomy. Having said that, I do recall the only one that WAS obvious was Orion, perhaps that's what was meant by "an Orion sky" :wink2: ?

Magnus

Well put CM! I had this same experience near Coldstream on the Scottish border when stopping for a wee on the drive between Newcastle and Edinburgh several years ago now... 

My wife and I plan to move to Plymouth later on this year where we will be 30 mins from the centre of Dartmoor 😃

• Like 1

I remember, when I was at a boarding school in Dorset, nights where there were so many stars that it was difficult to pick out the constellations. But that was the late '60s - early '70s, not a chance of that now :icon_sad:.