Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_jupiter.jpg

acey

What is a dark site ?

31 posts in this topic

On 08/02/2017 at 19:59, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes, but be aware that a long journey to an 'orion class site' might prove disappointing.

By orion class site. Do you mean a place where the orion arm can be seen? What do you feel will be the naked eyed limiting magnitude of the site? At my dark site. 20km away from a town I can see it very well. 

On 08/02/2017 at 10:12, CSM said:

Have a look at this to find Dark Sky sites in the Uk

http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/dark-sky-discovery-sites/map.html

Personally, I find https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/ a better indicator. For example, there's a place near me that's darker than my nearest Milky Way class "Dark Sky Discovery" site.

HTH & Clear skies

8 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

By orion class site. Do you mean a place where the orion arm can be seen? What do you feel will be the naked eyed limiting magnitude of the site? At my dark site. 20km away from a town I can see it very well. 

From teh Dark Sky Discovery website: " “Orion” sites. At these sites, the seven main stars in the winter constellation Orion are visible to the naked eye. Typically, this means away from, or shielded from, bright lights such as street lights, security lights or approaching car lights."

I the last month I saw all seven main stars in orion + 1 or 2 others from the car park in front of the railway station in the middle of Burton upon Trent and in a suburb of Nottingham just a mile and a half from the city centre, both with not particularly dark adapted eyes, so the criterion for an orion site is not very demanding. I think most 'orion' sites will be significantly better than this, but don't expect them to be in the same league as Exmoor or Kielder Forest.

Posted (edited)

Excellent post by acey - well deserved sticky.

This website has a night sky simulator that helps you to visualise how light pollution alters the night sky in different locations. Assuming you ever get a cloudless night!!

http://www.need-less.org.uk/#ukatnightsim

John

Edited by westmarch