SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skyliner 200P Dobsonian...in a Mondeo?

Hi,

I am hopefully going to be purchasing a Skyliner 200P Dobsonian, but will probably want to take it to viewing areas with darker skies.

I understand that these scopes will fit nicely on the backseat of most cars, but I really want to be able to take the whole family with me, so I want to know if I can fit the tube in the boot of my Mondeo.

I read somewhere that the tube of the 200P was about 120cm, in which case it might just fit. At its narrowest the boot 117cm, but widens to around 137cm.

I just wondered if anybody could advise on exact dimensions, so that I can figure out if it would fit.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi bigfoot,

Welcome to SGL.

The 200p is a good scope and fits across the back seat of my octavia estate but I dint think it would fit in my boot.

As for sizes though the main tube is 24 x 112 and is 29cm across the alt pivot bracket.

The base is 76cm high and 52cm across the round pivoting bit of the base.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Thanks for all the input, very useful.

It seems that it might fit (the Mondeo does have quite a big boot compared to most cars), but when I see a picture of it, I do have doubts.

The other scope that I was looking at was the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5, which I think may be smaller, although I would prefer the Dobsonian.

Am I right in thinking that the Explorer is smaller than the Skyliner? If so, does anybody have any measurements?

Thanks again for all of the help so far.

The Mondeo is very roomy. I had a Mk2 for a bit and I could easily fit the OTA of a 12" in the boot, with the seats down. Taken off the mount, of course. The design of the Skywatchers makes it very easy to detach the OTA from the base.

Just wrap the tube in a couple of sleeping bags.

Wait, you can't just take the tube out of the base?

It seems a bit of an oversight that you can't save so much space so easily...

Hi pip,

The 200p dob does appear to be permanently fixed which makes it a robust set up but by unscrewing the side handles the tube just lifts straight off the base. The main thing to remember is to keep the handle bolts, washers and small bearing safe for when you get to site.

Cheers

Seats down is no good if you need to also for your family in.

The base looks more awkward to fit in the boot.

Depends on the car, and how the seats fold back.

The back seats of the car I currently drive has been split in two - the smaller seat back lowered can easily accommodate the OTA.

I was able to take four people camping with 12" scope AND camping gear!

Thanks for all the help.

I have gone with the Skywatcher Explorer 200 with a GoTo mount. Wanted the Dob without a computer, but was a bit concerned that the kids would get bored waiting for me to find things without the computer. They are excited about looking at stuff...not so keen on the waiting. :)

I think the Explorer should easily fit in the boot, but will post back with an update.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the help.

I have gone with the Skywatcher Explorer 200 with a GoTo mount. Wanted the Dob without a computer, but was a bit concerned that the kids would get bored waiting for me to find things without the computer. They are excited about looking at stuff...not so keen on the waiting. :)

I think the Explorer should easily fit in the boot, but will post back with an update.

Thanks again!

Good choice BB, im sure you'll have a great time showing the kids the sky. Show them jupiter or saturn and theyll be hooked too.

Cheers

Archived