Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
spacehopper

See a home made observatory

Hi all,

well just about finished my observatory so I suspect you would like to see the results so far, please beer in mind that I have quite a way to go to get the yard and aesthetics finished so just ignore the mess!!!

Click on the link and it will take you to my Blog

spacehopper1.blogspot.com

Very nice obsy you have made for yourself! I'm sure you are well chuffed :(

Marius

Nice observatory. I like it very much. I hope I have also one in the future. :( Good idea that you put scopes in higher location.

Saso

Very nice Ian. Looks good, and for when the weather is bad, I notice you've hung a bird box and feeder on the outside :(

That looks the business.....nice job!

And you have given me some ideas for my opening roof :(

Russ

Very nice job. :(

I did think about a taller obs but was not sure if hight of a garden building would make it subject to planning permision.

Mike

I was expecting a small garden type shed with a roll off roof not a multi story observatory. I reckon after a visit to Tesco’s my other half wouldn’t see me for at least a week :(.

Two improvements

1. Intruder alarm

2. Rottweiler left off its leash

Paul

Nice to see something a little more "exotic" - Albeit in a familiar UK setting.

The matching bird box is an SPLENDID touch! :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the kind words Guys

Still bits un bobs to finish off but as you can see I can use the place,

I will up date the Blog as I go along.

Would like also to thank Steve at FLO for quick delivery of new C10 Newt Scope, just need some good nights to get some use in.

Nice idea on the layout, but I also question the vibrations on the upper floor, could make observing difficult.

naz

What an awesome looking obsy - well done!

A couple of questions - did it require planning permission? How do you stop water getting in between the roof join - is there an offset with a run-off or something?

Thanks everyone for you kind words and interest.

Just a few replies to your questions'

1: No you don't need planning permission for this type of build, this is due to a few important factors, (1) it is not deemed a permanent build as it is built with sectional concrete panels & timber (not brick or block) (2) The building must be at least 5 meters away from your nearest building (ie house or garage or any out building) (3) the build must not be any higher than 4 Meters from the highest point (should you have an incline of land in your garden.)

2: The roof gets absolutely no leaks due to the design of roof lap so you form a type of fascia on one side of the roof.( hard to explane so I will take some more pics of this later)

3:Floor Vibration ? well if you look at the pics I have took looking up you will notice on the floor joist I have reinforced them bolted through steel bars, and on the deck of the upper floor it is covered with a 12mm interlocking impact floor tile that gives cushioning (you can see the type of mat used if you type into Ebay search, interlocking floor mats).

Hope this clears a few points up for you all and do keep checking the web link as I am now on with landscaping the garden and this will futher enhance the overall appearance, Cheers every one.