Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair astro lightwave 66mm ed + lunt HW

Solar_observer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The equinox is 300 quid, i have until the morning to decide before he un reserves it. Just thought with better optics would give me better detail. But in what your saying shane the 120mm could be a better bet. I will be using it 98% for WL observing.

I'd go for the 120mm no question. I suppose one thing to consider is the focuser. it's usable certainly on the 120 f5 but does suffer from the usual  SW R&P issues. no free lunch I expect. I'd try and get a used one for maybe £100-120.

if you can cope with the focuser for a bit then the extra aperture is fab. granulation is obvious and fine detail exceptional when the seeing is good. you can add a better focuser later (I got a TS monorail for about £100 used) and was really happy I did. I agree about the filters you mention too, they really help me. if almost solely for visual white light then I think you will be highly delighted. I was.

The 80mm Equinox is pretty useful even with a 2.5mm eyepiece, my favourite is the 4mm though :smiley: There was one for sale on ABS for £350 not so long back. You will need a decent focuser whichever one you choose...... Just thought I would give you a bigger headache :grin:

Skem

The shorty fracs do look lovely and perform as good as they look, great wide-star-field views too :grin: I haven't tried the Esprit on white light as yet but I suspect the 2.5mm eyepiece will perform nicely with the 400mm focal length.

The problem with this hobby, if you want to call it a problem, is you do need a few different types of scopes, my 150mm SCT serves me well for higher mag with the planets and the Moon.

Archived