SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What editing programs do you use?

What programs do you use and what do you think is best?

Someone suggested buying Creative Cloud which comes with all Adobe programs like photo shop and light room which should come in handy with stuff like this.

And im not exactly wanting to buy photoshop for $1000 as that seems a bit much to me.

So if any one uses Creative cloud, could they post what it's like?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the programs i use are Pixinsight for my astro images which i like a lot, i do some touches with photoshop and lightroom but mainly leave the last two for daytime photography editing

if your wanting to try some free one, DSS, GIMP, Registax come to mind

what objects will you be processing?

PIPP is also a must for planetary

I'm looking at taking photos of the Jupiter, the moon, Saturn and some nebulae. Mainly Orion and The Southern Pinwheel.

I think i'll do some long exposure shots of just the sky to get the stars too.

ImagesPlus, does loads of stuff plus stacking.

Photoshop CC, pay monthly saves a big outlay.

Just bought PixInsight, good price here in the UK with the Euro going down the tubes.

PS CC is really good, your allowed on two pc's and at just under £9 a month, well done Adobe.

Works ok on this old 3 gig o ram Celeron Compaq laptop of mine, as long as I don't push it to hard.

I have Annie's Actions, Noel Carboni's stuff, HLVG and Gradient Exterminator, all very useful.

Using it all is a different matter but I'm taking it steady and gradually coming to grips with it all.

Not sure any one is the best as I use bits of each for different jobs.

You need an internet connection once a month to re-validate the license...

Peter...

Which can be a hassle from Uganda (was there for work some time), believe me. I really like to have stand-alone applications. I was planning to buy a CS version, just when they stopped selling it.

And I still resent monthly fees. They add up. What I also didn't like was their advert for a discount for students and teachers. For the photography package (PS and LR) you pay 12.09 euro/month, instead of 12.09 euro/month like everybody else. Some discount. Only when you get a much more extensive suite with stuff I do not need do you get a slight discount. Anyway, I would sooner spend time writing plugins or my own stand-alone code if I find features missing in GIMP or PixInsight.

Hey Michael, as an ex-Adobe person I probably shouldn't tell you this but you can still get CS6 from some retailers who are working down old stock. The only thing you may find is that if you buy CS6 you'll probably get CS5 (or 5.5) and a CS6 upgrade as general stocks of CS5 are much higher than CS6 (as you can imagine when CC was announced everyone picked up CS6!).

I agree though, subscription software works very well for enterprise organisations with moderate to high volume but doesn't work as well for (what Adobe call) hobby users. Needless to say, however, I was one of the ones that picked up a CS6 while I could!

Cheers

Will

Just starting out with AP so can't comment too much on that just yet but I have always been against paying monthly subs for software and generally don't do it. But with Photoshop being so expensive to buy I decided to bite the bullet and take out a Photoshop/Lightroom subscription. It is under £9 a month for the two togther and I think that is OK. For that £9 you get the latest versions of both programs always available on up to two computers (using only one at a time).

I know there are some good free programs around though but for under a tenner a month to get two great products like these I think is pretty good value.

Same here, only really started recently. I got Lightroom student version (half the price for a full pack) and Nebulosity 3. But I used DSS too and a couple of free-ware software before. 

There is a conspicuous absence of the mention of AutoStakkert!2 in the responses to this question. I'm a novice but I have found this freeware much better at stacking than its free competitors. Still need Rigistax for the wavelet processing though.

I don't know what it was with Photoshop...but I just couldn't get on with it. I tried out Pixinsight an and really feel in love with it. There are some excellent video tutorials available, mainly from a guy called Harry Page...I Worked through these and picked up the system really quickly. It's not free, but you do get free upgrades.

William,

The stacking programs, AutoStakker, DDS, Registax etc, are only a small part of the processing package...

It's the MaximDL, AstroArtV5 PixInsight etc. followed by Photoshop or PaintShopPro which produce the majority of the "Ohhhhh Ahhhhhh" images we see.

Archived