SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 130P what to expect

I am thinking of getting the Skywatcher 130P however im unsure whether i would enjoy stargazing. Does anybody have any info or pictures of planets, DSOs or the moon through a 130mm? Ive posted this in the beginners observing forum however i dont know if that was the right forum to post it in, thanks!

The link above is excellent and does give a realistic idea of what you can actually see through a small scope like you are thinking of getting. As you will see photos taken through scopes are generally very misleading as a guide  :rolleyes2: 

Hi and welcome from me ,what to expect ermmm , time travel,exploring ,excitement ,bright galaxies ,great double stars ,nebula,globular clusters ,planets and are very own spectacular moon,all in wonderfull monochrome .

You will see all these and more on a good night with a bit of luck but what you will see will be wow moments ,if you could get to a local group for a quick look that would give you some idea ,when choosing a scope pick the one you want,then get the next size up it save selling and re buying ( I have done this many times ) later on . What ever you decide it's a great chance to view the night sky with more that just your eyes it's a journey into space

Pat

Iv got the 130P and its a great scope for starting out with. You'll get some stunning views of the moon, great views of the planets and be able to easily work your way around the Messier catalog to see some of the best sights Deep Sky Objects have to offer.

The only issue with the 130P is it is more difficult to use for proper astrophotography (by which I mean attaching a DSLR camera) however not impossible and webcams work fine.

Other than that I would highly recommend it. 

I would expect that all would be welcome on any open evening, I confess to having not been to one myself.

I have a bit of light pollution and for me to see the ring nabula in my 130mm (same mirror) it is a grey smudge best seen with averted vision which means you look at little to the side and your eye can then see it.

Do you have a pair of binouulars or a pair you could borrow just to see if you like looking up and finding things?

There is a lot you can see with binocculars just to see if it is your thing. I use a pair amined at birdwatching so they are quite small and not very powerful. But for example I have been able to see Comet Lovejoy.

Archived