SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

4 Year old's question.

kenny k

My 4 year old son Jack had me stumped this morning when he asked me if 'Lightning was faster than the Speed of light' ...My first thought's were 'The same'.

Anyone care to elaborate more for my son's piece of mind please do...and mine too

According to Google, the lightning bolt itself travels through the air at ~224,000 miles per hour (depending on air conditions).

Of course, the light that it emits (which actually reaches our eyes so we can see the lightning bolt) travels at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second).

Lightening is slower, it is the movement of charge through gas molecules.

On a high speed camera you are see the lightening bolt carve it's way dow to earth through the atmosphere.

Suspect you can see it with just your eyes and not slowed down.

You are not going to record the front of a laser go from cloud level to ground level.

Only the headache bit   (that is a ladies excuse ) 

The rest is totally true  :grin:  having been married for 49 years (the train robbers got less :evil:  :evil:  ) I like yourself

know my place with swmbo   after all I have to sleep sometime :grin:  :grin:

Regards & clear skies

Robin

haaa 4 yrs old ...

When I asked my daughter which star was the brightest in the sky (to test if she remembered that it was Sirius) she replied:

"The sun"

... my eyes teared up with fatherly pride :)

Archived