sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

A new target for me - the Running Chicken Nebula sits about halfway between the Southern Cross and the Eta Carina Nebula.

Running Chicken Nebula

IC2948 Running Chicken Nebula in Centaurus ( bright star is Lambda Cenauri)

(RA 11h 39.6m - Dec -63deg 37.2').

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian.

Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT (on Pier)

Orion auto guider - PHD2 (RA only - Dec ungiuded).

Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, UHC-S (Nebula) filter,

Nikon D5300 (unmodified), Long Exp Noise Reduction on, 14bit NEF,

13 x 300 sec ISO 200.

PixInsight & Photoshop

28 March 15

• Like 4

Very nice.

It's not something I've heard of before and at 52 North will never see. There is some lovely contrasty details in the top section.

I really like that, thanks for posting :)

Ant

Thanks guys muh appreciated.

I'm on the outskirts of greater Sydney and not far from the township of Katoomba so I am only in semi-dark skies Jimbo but we do have pretty clean skies with very little dust or other particle matter so we are lucky.

cheers

mike

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By guydive
      Hey all,
      I'm considering the 250PDS. The main use is visual, and the second is EAA (I currently use a zwo183mm). 
      What I'm hesitant about is the primary focus. since It's mostly for visual, I'm wondering on how much back focus it has compared to the standard Skywatcher 10" dobsonians? with the standard dobsonias with the same optics and focuser you already need an extension tube for most eyepieces...
      Also, there's probably a "bigger" obstruction (bigger shadow on primary)? 
    • By AngHor
      I have a SkyWatcher AZ-EQ5 mount. It’s all working fine, except I have an issue with alignment. This applies whether I’m in EQ or Alt-Az mode.
      I set it up using  one or two star align without problems.
      However if I use the handset to GoTo another object, I usually need to do fine tuning adjustments to centre on the new object. But the mount disregards these adjustments, so if I use the GoTo system to centre on a nearby object, or revisit the original object a second time, it’s still off by the same amount.
      How do I tell the mount that I have centred on the new object and that it should now be aligned with that object ? 
      My iOptron MiniTower has a feature that does exactly this – once set up correctly and aligned, for each new object I go to there is an “ALIGN” option, and if I use this it now knows the correct position. Can I do this with SkyWatcher and Synscan ?
      Thanks. Angelo
    • By Gerr
      The 6th January was clear and still and so at last a good night for imaging (not perfect as Moon was still waning).
      My 8" SW 200P Reflector was wanting to be used and so it was carefully mounted onto the HEQ5 and payload maxed out with the imaging train.
      Yeah I know - this combination is a big ask for the job (but an EQ6 is beyond me at the moment!). Anyway with careful balancing and hardly any wind it was worth trying!
      Nebula were best targets and again new ones for me.
      These were the Bubble Nebula, Cave Nebula and Monkey Head Nebula. The Optolong L-eNhance Dual Narrowband Filter was used for all images.
      Usual calibration frames and dithered instead of Dark's. Other 'Astro Stuff' is in my signature. 
      Any constructive criticism's welcome.
      Gerr
      Bubble Nebula (Sharpless 162) 15x240secs (1 hour of data).
      Cave Nebula (Sh2-155) 7x240secs & 23x300secs (2hrs 23 mins).
      Monkey Head Nebula (NGC 2174) 44x240secs (just under 3hrs).

• By pete_81
      Hi all, just getting straight to the point.
      Just got a Rasp Pi 400 (equivalent to Pi4-4GB), and looking to get into guiding through this as it's obviously a popular (and successful) technique.
      Plan is to have the RPi as mini computer at home, running it with RaspPiOS (supplied on µSD with the full kit), then use it with a SECOND micro SD card for astro - I figure having another SD to run Astroberry (as on SGL) may ignore any issues with the family using the pi for other stuff in the house, giving a stand-alone 'computer' as the OS and files would be available on different SD's.
      From this point, I'd setup as follows:
      Connect the RPi directly via USB to the mount (it's the newer SW-AZ-EQ6Pro with the USB-B port on the mount)
      Guidescope (240mm f/4) with T7C (equivalent to ZWO Mini) again USB-B direct to RPi
      Nikon DSLR (either on telescope or using camera lenses) connected to RPi via Nikon USB (using the 3 USB points on the RPi-400) to control capture and later using this for plate-solving (but that's not for just right now!)
      I don't spy any flaws in the plan, it's just going to be a matter of testing and setting things up hoping to follow the guide for Astroberry as linked to SGL below...
      Or is there an alternative OS? From brief reading, Astroberry includes KStars & PHD2 which is what I've got for use on the macbook (although not used in earnest as it doesn't appear to like the cold too much!)
      What about guiding software - I know KStars comes with it's own, and can run PHD2 from within, with PHD2 being the industry standard (and simplest?) to use?
      Control will then be sitting in the warm via OS-X, which seems to be again a common technique as I've had posts on my other questions about this!
      Thoughts???
    • By Planetarian
      Just thinking how this setup would compare to normal astrophotography setups. Imagine a Nikon coolpix p1000 on an equatorial mount. Has anyone done that yet? 
      As I saw in the YouTube videos about the camera, it has absolutely no chromatic aberration, so I assume it's got apochromatic lens. It's magnification is extremely good (125x with 16MP sensor). The aperture is quite small tho compared to many different refractors available. 

So what do you think about the idea:  astrophotography with a Nikon?  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.