Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The sun @now@

kev

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the huge hedgrow prom early this morning but then it clouded over and life got in the way of observing.

But just grabbed a glimpse between clouds and the pillar on the north has obviously broken up, leaving a long trail of plasma high off the limb. I have never seen anything THAT detached before!!

Anyone care to estimate how high off the limb? ...

No time to scan in sketch this morning but with the Micro Guide, I made a rough estimate that the main prominence is about 290,000 km in length (some 180,000 miles long). With an estimated average height of between 160,000 km to 175,000km. At one moment, I had even measured it in one place at almost 200,000 km.

When I began sketching, the prominence was clearly rooted at two places along the limb forming a very bright arch, but by the time I had packed up it had become uprooted in one place and was clearly lifting and dissipating into the darkness of space. 

There was also another glorious prominence at about 3 o'clock on the solar limb. Significantly smaller but no less beautiful, like a burning bush in apocalyptic stories. This was some 95,000 km in length, reaching to a maximum height of about 60,000 km.

Sorry. Missed that in my excitement!

Here's a bit of a re-work with a scale bar. It's dissapated now. The speeds must be ..... astronomical. I feel priviledged that I chose that time to get the PST out and witness such a spectacular event.

16758668638_2056e253af_z.jpg

Amazing speed involved Skem, you wouldn't want to be in its path :shocked:

Its still raining here unfortunately so the eclipse was the last time that I saw the sun :smiley: I have the whole of the Easter week off work so hopefully all the rain will have been used up by then :grin:

Archived