Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question about binocular tripod adapter

Steve72

Hi Guys, I would value your advice about a more suitable adaptor for mounting my binoculars to a tripod.

Currently I am using a standard L bracket similar to this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-Large-Binocular-Tripod-L-Adapter/dp/B00B1N72W4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427398276&sr=8-7&keywords=binocular+adapter

The problem with my current setup is that  when I tighten thumb wheel bolt to the binocular, it tightens initially but after 5 minutes of use it loosens and the binocular rocks on the bracket.

Secondly, the bracket has two threaded holes at the base. One is obviously used to attach the bracket to the Quick release plate. What is the second for? I have two different tripod heads and both only have one screw to attach the adapter bracket. Both also have a 'sprung pin' which I assume is meant to slot into a second hole to prevent movement, but neither are position. The reason I ask is because I  occasionally find that the whole adapter bracket will twist on the quick release plate.

Sorry if I'm being a complete noob, but a recommendation to a better 'L' bracket or better mounting method would be appreciated.

Let's deal with the two holes in the base first. My understanding is that the idea was to give you a bit of flexibility in how to place the adaptor on the tripod head; this affects balance and the ease with which your chin hits the tripod head. The sprung pin is a "video pin"; it is intended for use with video cameras. The solution to the adaptor  twisting on the plate is to tighten it up a bit more.

Now the rocking bino: Given the torque you can exert on the mounting bush via your hand on the binocular barrels, the bolt would have to be done up unfeasibly tight to prevent this. Really, anybody who cannot figure out how to level the binocular by hand (*) probably ought to be considering a different hobby!  :grin:

* NOT implying that you are part of this group! :laugh:

I appreciate your reply Steve (and your humour - I think :smiley:).  I am actually familiar with the concept of needing to tighten bolts! My 'rocking' bino problem was frustrating because no matter how hard I tightened the bolt, it took minimal pressure or the slightest of knocks  to cause the bino's to tilt completely anti-clockwise. Having to re-level the binos and re-tighten the nut up to a dozen times in an hours viewing gets frustrating. However, I think I have solved or at least reduced the problem significantly by introducing using a rubber washer between the adapter and the binoculars.  :laugh:

With regard to the  two holes, thanks for your explanation. I thought I had perhaps  bought  the wrong kind of adaptor.

(Apologies if my poor attempt at humour offended)

However, I think I have solved or at least reduced the problem significantly by introducing using a rubber washer between the adapter and the binoculars.  :laugh:

Interesting; I have two adaptors like that and they both came with thin rubber-ish surfaces cemented to the plastic boss through which the bolt goes; They are both over 30 years old, so I guess from what you say that the rubber is no longer standard. One got lost and I replaced it with a disc cut from anti-slip mat.

I had to purchase a large circular neoprene washer, years ago, to keep my 25x100 giant binocular from spinning around on the floorplate of my 2-way pan head.

I had to snug everything down really tight to keep the 25x100 from turning around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-to-1-4-Tripod-Thread-Reducer-Adapter-Brass-with-rubber-washer-/180891287937

Stan

sometimes the holes on the base of the bracket are two different sizes 1/4" and 3/8".

i had one of those metal bracket things and it was always working loose or flopping about

i had a plastic one and it wasnt any better.

i bought something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helios-Tripod-Adaptor-For-Slim-Profile-Binoculars-London-/331518912358. haven't had any problems with it so far.

if you hold the body of the adapter against the binocular body, tighten the adapter bolt as far as possible and then push the adapter to 90 degrees from the binocular it gives a bit of extra grip.

push the adapter back against the body to release - ignore if you already do this.

How you move the binoculars on a tripod will also affect things.

By moving the binoculars only using the tripod handle, rather than holding the binoculars will keep things tightened for longer.

Also some binoculars such as roof prisms have a shallower depth female thread for the adapter, so is less to "grip on to"

My adapter is entirely metal and the boss face offers little grip, a rubber surface would certainly help.

You can always go to a hardware store & purchase a thin rubber or neoprene washer & place it between the tripod adapter face & the binocular.

Or you might consider using some plumbers tape on the threads of the tripod adapter to make the threads tighter.

Stan

• 4 months later...

Just in case anyone has the same problem ...........I've got the Strathspeys but although of good quality they don't raise the binoculars above the AZ4 as the base of the L dovetail is not wide enough to give enough clearance from the AZ4. What I've done is turn the L dovetail upside down and take the tightening wheel with bolt off and put on other side. There's a bit left over but it works well enough.

Archived