Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stacking options

Sully

I took some photos of Leo last night, just using the camera on tripod (Canon 1100d, 18-55 lens, 18mm at F22), 30 shots at 30 sec a piece.  What would be the best stacking program for these?  I've tried DSS and it doesn't seem to want to do anything with them, can only read 20-30 stars. any advice would be appreciated. 

thanks

Sully

Usually when DSS does something like that it seems to be that the stars are trailing and it therefore doesn't recognise them as stars.  If you zoom in on one of the frames do the stars still look nicely round?

James

F22 sounds very high! People normally only stop down by one or two stops at most. If you're using the stock EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens, then try it at f3.5 and ISO 400; shoot 50/60 frames at 2 to 5 seconds. Stack these and you may be surprised at what you get.

Thanks for the info, looks like I've been a bit of a div in the understanding of "Stopping Down" and went to the other end of the scale.  next time I'll try the other end.

Well you dot find out unless you ask, thanks for the help

can only read 20-30 stars

You only need 8 for DSS to stack, so something else must be going on. DSS has a star editor (down the right hand side of the image) which lets you see what stars it has found. Check they are real!

NigelM

Archived