SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another which scope question

Good afternoon all,

At the moment I have a Celestron 70az. I know this is not the biggest but I've been able to see Jupiters bands and Saturns rings as well as a few other things. As a birthday treat to myself I'm looking to up the aperture a bit but with a very limited budget of £200 I'm wondering what to choose. 

After reading through the forums here (lots of late nights) I've come across the "Bird Jones" telescopes and these are to be avoided if possible. if I'm correct is the Celestron Power seeker this type?? 

The 127mm is within my budget with a little left over for a decent eyepiece.

Also looking at the Celestron 130eq (or the MD version), skywatcher 130p on eq2 and the skywatcher 150p DOB ( all from FLO) but not sure which one.

I'm not looking at photography at all so any help and advice would be very grateful.

Clear skys and thanks for looking :rolleyes:

You can't really compare a dobsonian with an eq mounted telescope. When I was young I was all about aperture and dreamed of owing the largest possible Dobsonian. Now that I can afford whatever I like, I found out that Dobsonians are not for everyone. So my suggestion would be, if you haven't already, try out telescopes similar to the ones you are suggesting at your local astronomical society. But really try them, see how you can use them to find something, keep it on the eyepiece etc.

There is also the question of whether you would like to try some kind of photography in the future which could affect a buying decision...

Thanks Equador. I am off to a astro society meet on Saturday and I'm hoping they have similar scopes there ( all be it probably larger :) ) so hopefully will be able to chat and find out what's for me.

From the scopes you mention I would definitely choose the 150P dob.

You will see loads with this scope and at F8 you won't need top end eyepieces or to be too fussy with collimation, its so easy to use, take it outside, point at target and enjoy.

Good luck with our future scope.

You mention you're not interested in photography at all, so I would steer clear of the EQ mounts. They'll be an unnecessary expense.

Given your budget, I'd go for the 150p dobsonian - it'll give you the most "bang for your buck". 

However, if you have the space, look at second hand offerings for 200p dobsonians. You might be able to pick up a bargain. 

BST starguiders are decent eyepieces, at £49 a go new, they're good value. 

With going bigger you go heavier on weight too.

Your 70 is very light and probably very easy to move from storage to observing location.

The view through your 70 might be right way up and correct to what you see, in a reflector it won't be, which may or may not bother you.

Enjoy Saturday.

With going bigger you go heavier on weight too.

Your 70 is very light and probably very easy to move from storage to observing location.

The view through your 70 might be right way up and correct to what you see, in a reflector it won't be, which may or may not bother you.

Enjoy Saturday.

At least stenik will get to see a Dob up close and personal and can decide if its too big/heavy etc. 

The 70 is light and easy to set up but as I've read many a time on here I now have aperture fever lol and with my small budget I'm thinking the Dob but will be nice to see the newtonians and compare

Hi Stenik,

Good advice above is to go to the astro meet and see what others have and what may suit you best. As far as scopes go and you have aperture fever, dobs are the best bang for buck. You will be surprised how portable an 8" dob is especially considered against an 8" on an eq mount.

Archived