A newbie at the age of 39!

greencode

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, just had my first little session before the cloud decided to put a stop to things (probably a good thing as my fingers were getting a little cold). Could only really see the moon close up and Jupiter and its moons, but a good start nonetheless. A few questions though…

1. The 10mm eyepiece is pretty poor. The 25mm with a celestron 2x barlow was very good though.

2. I found that with the Heritage 130p I had to constantly adjust where it was pointing as it just seemed to move slightly of its own accord. Everything was tight so I'm not sure why this was happening?

I think it's also a case of getting my eyes adjusted to seeing things through a small eyepiece and focussing as well.

Possibly the apparent scope movement is that the  target is moving   they nearly all do as I understand it

but then  like you I am very new to all this as I am a newbie at 69 !! good luck and clear skies

Robin

As for your queries, I am assuming you understand that the earth rotates, so objects drift across the eyepiece (very quickly at high magnification) and out of the field of view when using a non-tracking mount?

Also, seeing conditions vary greatly from night to night. The best eyepieces on the planet won't provide great views on a night of poor "seeing". I wouldn't be too hasty in thinking you need to replace your 10mm eyepiece. The higher the magnification (power), the more prominent the particular nights sky will show its state of clarity, or lack thereof.

As for your queries, I am assuming you understand that the earth rotates, so objects drift across the eyepiece (very quickly at high magnification) and out of the field of view when using a non-tracking mount?

Also, seeing conditions vary greatly from night to night. The best eyepieces on the planet won't provide great views on a night of poor "seeing". I wouldn't be too hasty in thinking you need to replace your 10mm eyepiece. The higher the magnification (power), the more prominent the particular nights sky will show its state of clarity, or lack thereof.

Ha, the earth rotating is about the only bit I do understand at the moment ;-) Yep, now fully understand that as I am zooming to a huge extent that things in the field of vision will slowly move out of that view. I think, because the telescope is new, I wasn't initially sure whether it was simply slipping on the mounts.

Ha, the earth rotating is about the only bit I do understand at the moment ;-) Yep, now fully understand that as I am zooming to a huge extent that things in the field of vision will slowly move out of that view. I think, because the telescope is new, I wasn't initially sure whether it was simply slipping on the mounts.

I wouldn't worry, it just takes time. People can tell you all sorts of things and if it is too much at a time some or most of  it just gets forgotten. But the second time and third etc., you start to remember and put things into place. Just be patient, I'm still trying and been doing it and learning for years. I remember watching the Sky At Night 40+ years ago. But I don't really remember a lot of things I would have liked to. As I said just takes time and,,,, Oh Heck there I go again!!!

Derek

hi greencode and welcome to sgl, you will get a lot of good advice on here. I myself did not get a scope until I was 60,but have allways been  interested since a young boy.

I have been watching sky at night though from early sixties. also my other hoby was trout fishing and I have fished rutland water many times over the last 20 years.

anyway good luck with your new hoby, you will get the hang of things, just take your time.

bob.

Hi and Welcome to SGL.

I started on this journey  about 61/2 years ago and have learned a great deal on this great site from the very knowledgeable and helpful members.

So much more to learn yet for this 70 year old newbie.

Cheers

Roger

39? Im a 'newbie' too... but 42! wasn't that the answer to the 'Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything' :D

Here's to clear skies!

• 1 month later...

Archived