Narrowband

A newbie at the age of 39!

greencode

So, after getting excited about the recent solar eclipse and then watching the Stargazing Live series on BBC I've decided to get a telescope and see what I can see ;-)

Just purchased, and got delivery of, a Skywatcher Heritage 130p, so looking forward to trying it out later this evening (if this cloud decides to go away!)

Anyway, just thought I'd say Hi and I'm sure I'll be asking lots of stupid questions in the coming future that experienced star gazers will roll their eyes at.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi There,

warm welcome to SGL, you have come to the right place to ask questions!. Also a couple of books to try are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'  these will help guide you round the sky, Download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free to be found here :-  http://www.stellarium.org/ .

Hi There,

warm welcome to SGL, you have come to the right place to ask questions!. Also a couple of books to try are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'  these will help guide you round the sky, Download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free to be found here :-  http://www.stellarium.org/ .

Thanks for the tips. That was going to be one of my questions as I could just myself going out with the telescope and looking at the moon and then thinking "umm, where shall I look next"!!

Hello and welcome to the forum !

I became a newbie at 44...got my scope as a self birthday present ;)

Clear skies

So, just had my first little session before the cloud decided to put a stop to things (probably a good thing as my fingers were getting a little cold). Could only really see the moon close up and Jupiter and its moons, but a good start nonetheless. A few questions though…

1. The 10mm eyepiece is pretty poor. The 25mm with a celestron 2x barlow was very good though.

2. I found that with the Heritage 130p I had to constantly adjust where it was pointing as it just seemed to move slightly of its own accord. Everything was tight so I'm not sure why this was happening?

I think it's also a case of getting my eyes adjusted to seeing things through a small eyepiece and focussing as well.

So, just had my first little session before the cloud decided to put a stop to things (probably a good thing as my fingers were getting a little cold). Could only really see the moon close up and Jupiter and its moons, but a good start nonetheless. A few questions though…

1. The 10mm eyepiece is pretty poor. The 25mm with a celestron 2x barlow was very good though.

2. I found that with the Heritage 130p I had to constantly adjust where it was pointing as it just seemed to move slightly of its own accord. Everything was tight so I'm not sure why this was happening?

I think it's also a case of getting my eyes adjusted to seeing things through a small eyepiece and focussing as well.

The skywatcher Heritage 130p is a Dobsonian. It has not got any tracking motors, so you have to continuously move it by hand to keep the moon or planets in its field of view. This is normal. You do all the sidereal motion to compensate for the Earths motion.

Regards,

Derek

Archived