Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter - SPC900 V QHY5LII

leelee970

I was surprised that it was clear last night, so my start was a little later than usual.

Decided to have fun comparing an old Philips SPC900 against my QHY5LII.

Below are two images using the same scope and X3 barlow.

Setting for each camera were approx the same.

Stacked both in AS!2 and slight adjustments made in Registax6 and Gimp.

On the next clear night I'm going to try out a comparission between my Philips Toucam, SPC900 (unmodded), SPC900 (modded with ICX414 ccd), QHY5V and QHY5LII

Could be a long night.

Leepost-5674-0-03804600-1427280698.jpg

SPC900

post-5674-0-61868300-1427280746.jpg

QHY5LII

This is with the OOUK scope?  Not that you need more things to do, but it might be interesting to compare the SPC900 at a greater focal length, too.  Perhaps if you can stick a spacer in between the barlow and camera?

James

An interesting comparison Lee. Was a lovely night here also and, as you have captured, with the GRS transiting.

best regards,

Ralph

Yes James, it is the the Orion optics UK Europa 8" scope.

I did a run using an extension between barlow and cameras, but the wind got up a little, making it harder to keep steady.

I'll do it when better conditions.

Lee

Isn't 3 minutes video pushing it a bit for Jupiter? Based on the literature I never actually tried more than 2 minutes to avoid the rotation to start blurring my image. Maybe I am too cautious?

You're right 3 mins is a little too much, but I wasn't really after quality, just wanted to make a comparison between cameras - image scale, quality etc.

In truth the conditions were not great, a strong breeze and a little misty (i'm in a valley) plus the fact I started much later than usual meant I wasn't really after something too great.

Hopefully I'll make a more comprehensive study of the cameras that I've collected over time on a better night.

Lee 

Well you can still see the difference. And in general I love comparisons such as this. I did take for example all my OTA's out for two nights a couple of weeks ago to image Jupiter with all of them under the same conditions, and will try one OTA different imagers when I have time. Seeing an SPC900 image with one setup and a QHY5LII etc with a different one is not helpful at all, while this tells you a lot. Thanks.

Great comparison! You've managed a very good image from the SPC900. I was never able to get near that and found it all very frustrating.

I found my QHY5L-II to be much more sensitive than the SPC900 and lower noise too. The difference in frame capture rate is pretty dramatic too! Also, you can see the benefit of the extra resolution as well. It's a great little planetary cam at a reasonable price.

An interesting comparison certainly the QHY5 is better, but not by as much as i would have expected. I suppose that is why the SPC 900 is still so popular!

True, there seems to be little in it, but I guess most of that is down to poor seeing and more importantly my poor processing afterwards.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Archived