Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M3. Atik 414ex & SW80ED - the happy couple.

MattJenko

Here is the globular cluster M3. It was perfectly placed for me last night when the clouds cleared late on to try out a few things, including an automated meridian flip (didn't work) and to run automated until dawn (almost worked).

I woke to find a nicely parked scope and a full set of images and some half decent tracking, but I was a bit dismayed to find the Green channel was more out of focus that the rest. I tried a few processing tricks to tighten up the stars, but it was all very unsatisfactory until I realised I had captured Lum as well, so did a division of the inverse of Blue + Red and lo and behold, got a half decent green channel out of it. All processing done in PixInsight.

Skywatcher ED80 Pro, HEQ5, Atik 414ex.

12 x 5 min L, R, B.....

e53717f7b23a6bcb571e62832da5d554.1824x0_

Lovely resolution but some of the stars are very magenta owing to the green shenannegins. Worth a reshoot of green? Green's a funny colour in AP. You rarely see it as itself (certain planetaries excepted) but it somehow holds the balance of power!

Olly

Thanks Olly. It comes as no surprise to me to realise that in matters green, you are right. The image is on the pastel purple side. I took advantage of a clear night last night, and after taking some subs from a nearby globular (M53), I revisited M3 for the green channel. Managed a much nicer looking set than the generated one used earlier. The results are below. Once again:  :icon_salut:  

a489eac71bada63b208ddc51cdd3f75d.1824x0_

Archived