Narrowband

William Optics GT102 motor focuser options

Hi all, I have a WO GT102 and I'd like to know if other owners out there can help me understand what options I have for adding a motor to the existing  focuser. Is it possible to kept the existing focuser, which I like, rather than forking out for something like the Moonlite focuser and stepper motor?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi,

I have just fitted a skywatcher electric focuser to my William optics ZS66SD, they are under £50 and it works superbly I have to say, just had to drill two new holes in the included bracket, and all else fitted perfectly.

post-41536-0-64993000-1427224385.jpg

post-41536-0-90163700-1427224406.jpg

Regards

AB

Thanks AB, I actually have a Skywatcher motor focuser but looks like I will need to make a complete custom bracket as the GT102 looks quite different to your 66. Also after a quick look there isn't anywhere to actually bolt the bracket too. Might just drop WO an email to see if they know what others have done.

Thanks AB, I actually have a Skywatcher motor focuser but looks like I will need to make a complete custom bracket as the GT102 looks quite different to your 66. Also after a quick look there isn't anywhere to actually bolt the bracket too. Might just drop WO an email to see if they know what others have done.

I didn't have any screws to use for mounting either, just use the focus tension and focus locking screws, I guess you have those don't you??

The focus tension screw is really enough to hold it firm, as it has a locking ring on it which can be really tightened, the focus lock screw is left loose but that doesn't matter as it is only really there to stop the bracket twisting.

The focus bar is very thick and rigid so it won't go anywhere and it fits perfectly into the motor adapter.

Regards

AB

I looked at the thread you posted, very good, but I have a question for you, in that post you say they the focus lock and tension screws are no longer needed, why?

I still use mine and although don't really use the focus lock, the focus tension screw is an absolute must, if I remove or loosen that the focus tube just slides straight out, the new focuser will only stop the focus knob moving when not wanting it to, but will not stop the focus tube sliding out if the tension screw is too loose.

Regards

AB

JMI do electric focusers for most of the WO range, but not mine, hence the DIY version....

Here, have a look on the site, it shows pictures of the focusers so you will know if it will fit, but they are $179.00 plus shipping

http://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_motofocus.htm#William%20Optics

You will have to scroll down to the WO section, there are about 7 different focusers for there refractors, on the left hand side it shows a small picture

AB

JMI do electric focusers for most of the WO range, but not mine, hence the DIY version....

Here, have a look on the site, it shows pictures of the focusers so you will know if it will fit, but they are $179.00 plus shippinghttp://www.jimsmobile.com/buy_motofocus.htm#William%20Optics

You will have to scroll down to the WO section, there are about 7 different focusers for there refractors, on the left hand side it shows a small picture

AB

Also check here, forgot to add this link

http://www.jimsmobile.com/data_gso_wo.htm

Archived