SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light Sumerian 18 inch with Nichol's mirror.

alan potts

Wonderful report Alan. Great reading that you had such a great view of Jupiter with a large Dob but I guess your seeing is usually better than here. Also great to read your report on doubles as well as I know you're very experienced in this field.

I'm a great fan of the Nexus as well. You can get it direct from Serge in Oz as well if your postal service can cope.

Richard,

Many thanks for the kind words but I don't know where you got the idea I was experienced at anything, most ot the time I just thrash around in the dark. I do enjoy doubles but Nick is the one for them, I often observe purely on the back of his reports though I must confess to being in love with Sirius.

I am sure Nexas is great but it will be very difficult and risky for me to get hold of from Australia and I will not use the States to buy from unless I am there which was I different matter, I do like to try and keep it within Europe. I have just also got hold of 3 very high spec Lenovo pro Thinkpads for silly money all with the RS232 port, these are very rare now and dam costly to buy a Laptop with one on. I think Argo Navis just sounds as if it lends itself better to a laptop as I do not have an i phone.

I am going to play find the target for the moment as the strength of the pound and dollar has pushed the price of stuff up a great deal for me, just look at a 21mm Ethos form TS now 910 euros, though no doubt if you asked them to price match Telly House, which I did once, they would do it again.

Alan.

Richard,

Many thanks for the kind words but I don't know where you got the idea I was experienced at anything, most ot the time I just thrash around in the dark. I do enjoy doubles but Nick is the one for them, I often observe purely on the back of his reports though I must confess to being in love with Sirius.

I am sure Nexas is great but it will be very difficult and risky for me to get hold of from Australia and I will not use the States to buy from unless I am there which was I different matter, I do like to try and keep it within Europe. I have just also got hold of 3 very high spec Lenovo pro Thinkpads for silly money all with the RS232 port, these are very rare now and dam costly to buy a Laptop with one on. I think Argo Navis just sounds as if it lends itself better to a laptop as I do not have an i phone.

I am going to play find the target for the moment as the strength of the pound and dollar has pushed the price of stuff up a great deal for me, just look at a 21mm Ethos form TS now 910 euros, though no doubt if you asked them to price match Telly House, which I did once, they would do it again.

Alan.

hi alan, with reference to the i phone i use a android smart phone you can also use a tablet

• 3 weeks later...

Alan, new poster here. Bit of a lurker till now.

I am trying to decide between a 18" Sumerian Canopus or Lukehurst UP2.

Would you mind if I asked how you are finding the alt/az motions now you have some experience?

I already have a 12" Lukehurst, 13 years old now and has been pretty much faultless, but keen to try something different with a bigger scope. Have read a few mixed reports on movements of the Sumerian, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Kev

Kev,

PM sent.

One thing I did see last night and manged to follow it until it went into earth shadow completely was the ISS. I could see the main body and the solar panels, the 31mm Nagler helped me a great deal, it was really easy to follow it, sort of points to a good Alt/Az bearing combination.

Alan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A superbly detailed report of a beautiful scope. I wonder if you've written any subsequent impressions elsewhere in the forum? Couldn't find any.

I may buy a big dobson in a few months and I was already considering the combination of Sumerian and Nichol Optical. This is surely a reassuring report! Thanks.

Hey Alan, how did I miss this? What a great review and a stunning scope! You have to try and get out to darker skies. The Flame nebula can look fairly impressive under NELM 5.5 skies through a 12" Dob, let alone an eighteen incher.... :)

REALLY getting the bug for a portable dob monster...

• Like 2

I don't have an issue with skies to be honest though the SE direction of the town has got a little brighter since they have put up the LED type lights though I am sure I am better off than most people. It is worst when the snow is on the ground though that puts me off going out these days.

I would not have to drive far to find a darker site as this area of Bulgaria is very rural and even some of the villages only have a handful of people living in them. At the very moment we have one light source we can do nothing about making a mess of things, the Moon, now that is LP for a faint and fuzzy fan, though I don't really class myself as one.

Alan.

• 6 years later...

Great  report Alan and thanks for your thoughts in the PM.

I've now ordered a 16 inch f5 from John Nichol which should arrive in a couple of months. Now working on the base and truss tube ready for the mirrors. I like the look of your mount and can see me 'borrowing' a few pointers. Like others with my 10 inch dob I used an RDF rather than a finder scope plus a low power eyepiece.

Thanks

Francis

On 09/06/2021 at 09:56, fwm891 said:

Great  report Alan and thanks for your thoughts in the PM.

I've now ordered a 16 inch f5 from John Nichol which should arrive in a couple of months. Now working on the base and truss tube ready for the mirrors. I like the look of your mount and can see me 'borrowing' a few pointers. Like others with my 10 inch dob I used an RDF rather than a finder scope plus a low power eyepiece.

Thanks

Francis

Quite an old thread and not seen Alan on here for quite some time. Congrats on the Nichol mirror you will not be disappointed.

• Like 1