Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron avx service/maintenance

GaryCH

Hi all,

I just bought a second hand celestron avx mount and think it might be a good idea to check the tension in the gears and generally check its all in good working order.

Has anyone done this to this mount who could give me an idea of what to look for, and what to do?

I also see there are settings in the menu to adjust the backlash etc. and I'm not sure quite how to set this properly to ensure its running as smoothly as possible as I want to start guiding through PhD and I want to get the basics right with my equipment before I try to diagnose any problems with the software.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary.

There are a few videos on YouTube that show how to make adjustment to the gearing to help remove some of the play and inherent backlash that goes with it.  I followed them and they work fine, you just have to be a wee bit careful not to over adjust or you can end up making the motors work harder than needed.

Once you have done that, then the backlash adjustment in the handset settings is just a case of trial and error, no magic numbers to put in as each gear and motor combo is different.  I started midway on mine and then went from there.  You are lookikng to have it so that when you go from one dircetion to another, the very nexy keypad press moves the mount and there are no 'wait for it......wiat for it....that one worked' presses.  To low a number and you will have those presses, too high a number and the mount will over compensate and go back the way you have just come from when you stop your manual movements (or GOTO's too).

Ok thanks, I'll have a play around with the settings to see if I can improve it without making it worse! I guess I'll just note what it's set at already before I begin!

Gary. [emoji2]

Archived