SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage Virtuoso controlled via bluetooth

jpgr

Well, I´d recived my CP2102 module but there isn´t comunicaction... It´s really need stellariumscope?? I probed with Cartes du Ciel, more easy, and neither.

My netbook is a Atom proccesor so I´d had to install ver. 0.12 ATOM stellarium, I hope stellariumscope work !!

Hello, I think I know where the problem is ... When I connect the cable to the Virtuoso, pins 3 and 5 (signal, Tx and Rx) are shorted!! It´s no good... Just when I´d had recived bluetooth module, agggggg

With Bluetooth module does not work either... So, the mount is fine. Yesterday I could try on another mount and pin Tx and RX is short too. I probed its SynScanTM AZ hand controller, making a new cable to connect PC to hand controller, and stellarium worked with both mounts, without stellariumscope, directly with stellarium 0.11.4 configuration

I´d saw this video I´ll probe. There are several differences. First use stellariumscope, second choose JNOW in stellariumscope and no close it. In stellarium choose external softwaere.... I hope work 

Edited by gorke

@Gorke - The best way to test the scope to see if the bluetooth is working before you do anything with Stellarium, or Stellariumscope, is to use the Virtuoso App on an Android device, i.e. cellphone, or tablet.  The app is free and you can test the bluetooth connection, and the movement of the scope right away without having to worry about the pc programs at the moment.  First and foremost is the connection.

7 minutes ago, RTamer said:

@Gorke - The best way to test the scope to see if the bluetooth is working before you do anything with Stellarium, or Stellariumscope, is to use the Virtuoso App on an Android device, i.e. cellphone, or tablet.  The app is free and you can test the bluetooth connection, and the movement of the scope right away without having to worry about the pc programs at the moment.  First and foremost is the connection.

Yes, I have Virtuoso App installed in my Android tablet. I selected bluetooth HC-06 module, the led stops blinking but APP ware blocked, same behavior as CP2101 USB-TTL or MAX232.

I´m going later to probe open stellariumscope (with handpad not is necesary) as video I´ve seen

Thank for all

Edited by gorke

On 23/01/2017 at 22:36, RTamer said:

12v inline protectors are very cheap.  You should be able to find one at your local electronics shop.  If not, I'd check eBay.

Hi, I would be greatful of a pointer in the right direction please, with my limited knowledge I am floundering.

Finally works !!!! :hello2:      The module works at 5V, but the connection must be made with TTL values of 3.3V. A voltage divider, like schematics, it´s necesary and all correct. I had used 4,7K and 10K that I had at home. 

Many thanks to everyone and especially to @RTamerand @Tonyjl

Edited by gorke
  • Like 1

On 2017. 02. 06. at 19:50, gorke said:

Finally works !!!! :hello2:      The module works at 5V, but the connection must be made with TTL values of 3.3V. A voltage divider, like schematics, it´s necesary and all correct. I had used 4,7K and 10K that I had at home. 

Cool that the divider worked for you. I tried to assembly the cable to a HC-06 bluetooth modul, I have only 10k resistors at home right now, but it did not work with a 10k+10k to halve the voltage from the Virtuoso to 5.5V. The divider worked on the Beagleboard, but the HC-06 did not power up. I order a regulator to make the connection. I also built a normal cable (RJ11 to USB) which works fine.

After looking in the software options, I think to write an INDI driver for the Virtuoso because the ASCOM driver is Windows-only and I want to control my scope from my Raspberry Pi.

Edited by kecsap

Hi...

I am newcomer of the list. My question probably already had an answer... I am trying to understand how to make the cable connect to Virtuoso Mount to PC windows 10. Someone can tell me what type of USB UART TTL adapter... (the chipset should I choose) 6p or 4p ? Rj11 or rj12?... 

Best to all

On 15/2/2017 at 17:23, masp said:

Hi...

I am newcomer of the list. My question probably already had an answer... I am trying to understand how to make the cable connect to Virtuoso Mount to PC windows 10. Someone can tell me what type of USB UART TTL adapter... (the chipset should I choose) 6p or 4p ? Rj11 or rj12?... 

Best to all

Hello

I am doing it!! You only need 4p in RJ11 and a USB/TTL module, CP2102 or PL2303hx (I read that the CP2102 was better, I have CP2101 and waiting PL2303HX...). I think you neet to use a  voltage divide too like Bluetooth module. More important is driver for your windows ;-)

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

And for PL2303hx looking for "PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.8.19", I read that with v1.9 DON´T WORK

kabel_usb_virtuoso_dod_2.jpg

I made the cable with CP2102 direct to RJ11 and don´t work!!! 

In this page, send the cable and says work at 3,3V 

http://teleskopy.pl/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=3376&language=en&lunety=Przewód_kabel_USB_do_SkyWatcher_Virtuoso,_d³ugo¶æ_2_metry

P.D. If you are going to put a couple or resistor,I think that 4,7K and 10K is better.... My GoTo mount, with the mount BT, was broken. I used 47 ohm and 100 ohm and work a few minutes, but then...

When I get the whole summary working 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Gorke,

I already made a cable with the USB / TTL Prolific PL2303 TA chipwithout resistor. But I have ERROR in the connection from CDC or StellariumScope, the same error "The write operation timeout has been exceeded".

For me it's strange the cable works well on the Virtuoso App with the TX and the RX in any of the positions, it moves to one side and the other.

On the PC I changed several versions of drivers (prolific, Ascom, etc ...) on two PCs running Windows 7 and 10 with access to .NET 3.5.1 and 4.6 ... But nothing! Always the same error "The write operation timeout has been exceeded". I'm in this alley ... if anything happens to you or someone, thank you in advance.

On 17/02/2017 at 09:24, gorke said:

Hello

I am doing it!! You only need 4p in RJ11 and a USB/TTL module, CP2102 or PL2303hx (I read that the CP2102 was better, I have CP2101 and waiting PL2303HX...). I think you neet to use a  voltage divide too like Bluetooth module. More important is driver for your windows ;-)

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

And for PL2303hx looking for "PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.8.19", I read that with v1.9 DON´T WORK

kabel_usb_virtuoso_dod_2.jpg

I made the cable with CP2102 direct to RJ11 and don´t work!!! 

In this page, send the cable and says work at 3,3V 

http://teleskopy.pl/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=3376&language=en&lunety=Przewód_kabel_USB_do_SkyWatcher_Virtuoso,_d³ugo¶æ_2_metry

P.D. If you are going to put a couple or resistor,I think that 4,7K and 10K is better.... My GoTo mount, with the mount BT, was broken. I used 47 ohm and 100 ohm and work a few minutes, but then...

When I get the whole summary working 

Edited by masp

51 minutes ago, masp said:

Thank you Gorke,

I already made a cable with the USB / TTL Prolific PL2303 TA chipwithout resistor. But I have ERROR in the connection from CDC or StellariumScope, the same error "The write operation timeout has been exceeded".

For me it's strange the cable works well on the Virtuoso App with the TX and the RX in any of the positions, it moves to one side and the other.

On the PC I changed several versions of drivers (prolific, Ascom, etc ...) on two PCs running Windows 7 and 10 with access to .NET 3.5.1 and 4.6 ... But nothing! Always the same error "The write operation timeout has been exceeded". I'm in this alley ... if anything happens to you or someone, thank you in advance.

I finally got it !!! With CP2303 direct to mount and Cartes du Ciel...Not worked with stellarium. I suppose that with Stellarium I´ll need scope. Through the HC Synscan it´s not neccesary scope, only stellarium

Only one question, level voltage virtuoso mount are 3,29 volt (Rx and Tx) But HC Synscan are 0 and -8V  To use HC it´s necesary a USB-232 adapter (non TTL levels)

I can´t understand why it´s necessary the resistor with HC-06 Bluetouth module

With CP2102 I don´t get any satisfactory results

1 hour ago, masp said:

I'm in this alley ... if anything happens to you or someone, thank you in advance.

Friend!!! I have given a clarification. I used PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.8.19 

• Like 1

... and I tried, with that  PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.8.19 version and others! Until now I haven´t out  "The write operation timeout has been exceeded" .  I will, tried again. Thank you

On 9/3/2017 at 13:36, masp said:

... and I tried, with that  PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.8.19 version and others! Until now I haven´t out  "The write operation timeout has been exceeded" .  I will, tried again. Thank you

Ok, no communication... What pin out on RJ11 are you used??? I used  GND, TX, NC, Rx. So you only are going to need 3 cables. In PL2303HX GND to GND, Rx to TX and TX to RX

Install PL2303_Prolific_Driver, in control panel from Windows note port it´s using... What Windows version are you using?? Ascom, Driver Virtuoso...???

Try to install StellariumScope Bundle. It will going to install Stellarium Scope, stellarium, Ascom 6 and Drivers FTDI for usb serial 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/synscanstellari/

I first install PL2303HX driver and then these pack. and all work!!

I have recorded a video to show you how I do it...

Edited by gorke

On 3.2.2017 at 22:35, happy-kat said:

Hi, I would be greatful of a pointer in the right direction please, with my limited knowledge I am floundering.

@happy-kat - here's a photo of one that would be acceptable to use if you really need one.  I don't use one myself.

hope this helps!

12V-24V-Power-font-b-Surge-b-font-Protector-font-b-Protection-b-font-device-Lightning.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/3/2017 at 15:28, masp said:

...As I told, in Android I have no problems, but in PC Yes!. I consider to make the Bluetooth module. 

ummm, you´re using Android and APP Virtuoso with Bluetooth module, like HC-06. And you are trying the CP2303HX with laptop. it´s like this?? Both without HC... Pinout from Rj11 are the same (BT needs Vcc 5V). With PC it´s necesary DriverAzGoto and Ascom Plataform to use Cartes du Ciel and Scope if you are goint to use stellarium.

Check the cable (only 3 wires are needed) and Port number. Restart Windows, or even better, off and let a couple of minutes pass

Get luck!!

• 2 months later...

I have been able to get Windows 7 with Stellarium and the USB cable to work. I had problems with the USB driver up until I found this site.

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/92/20/prolific-usb-to-serial-fix-official-solution-to-code-10-error

I have been able to get SkySafari 5 Pro on iOS to connect to the the SkyFi emulated port on an Android connected via USB.

I have not been able to get SkySafari 5 Plus on Android to connect either on the same device or a different device. It keeps defaulting back to the demo interface.

The virtuoso app works perfectly fine.

You only need pro for telescope control right? If so it looks like the SkySafari 5 Android and iOS code handle Sky Connections differently, possible even just doing a simple port 80 check.

• 1 month later...

It took me months and finally I am happy to report that my telescope is ready for Solar Eclipse. This writing is to thank members of Star Gazers Lounge  for shared experience and knowledge.
Special thanks to Tonyjl and RTamer for precise instruction how to build BlueTooth module. If you want to see my prepared for Solar Eclipse telescope click this link, it is located on CloudyNights web.

Appreciate your efford,

LBIM

Edited by lbim
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Zerbst and Tony was able to build my own adapter (see small picture below) for my heritage-virtuoso and its works well using the Virtuoso App and SkySafari plus from y Android tablet.  Pin 1 is 3.3v and my Bluetooth adapter says it works 3.3v to 6v, I was wondering why you did not do a direct connection to the Bluetouth module and leave out the regulator?

I also want to make a Blutooth connection to my Meade LX90 Autostar hand controller which has 4 pin RJ11 connection. Could I do this using the HC06 Bluetooth module and providing external 5v power. There is a video showing how to do this using  a MAX3232 RS232 Serial Port To TTL Converter Module DB9 Connector see: 

Thanks

Max

IMG_0745.JPG

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Sorry to revive this old topic !

I'm trying to get a PL2303 USB/Serial cable working with my Skywatcher Heritage 90 virtuoso using your guides but like masp, I get the error "The write operation timeout has been exceeded"

The cable is wired RX on TX, TX on RX and GND on GND with RJ11 connector
I use Windows 7 x64, ascom suite + driverazgoto (PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.8.19.exe), prolific official driver USB/RS232 (tried 2 different versions), stellarium with scope plugin and cartes du ciel
It doesn't work, with stellarium or cartes du ciel

I tried StellariumScope Bundle (https://sourceforge.net/projects/synscanstellari/) but It's the same
The USB/Serial cable works fine, I've tested it by plugging the wires RX/TX together and running hyperterminal to send data.
Do you have an idea ?!
Thanks !