Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage Virtuoso controlled via bluetooth

jpgr

if you press 1 and 2 together it turns tracking on / off.

if the buttons are not flashing, and you havent disabled the backlight, the unit is not tracking.

if you set the speed to 1 or 2 the telescope moves very slowly (used for centering an object in the eyepiece) - try using 4 or 5 to check its actually moving.

if no key is pressed within 30 minutes, tracking will cease automatically.

if you turn the unit off and then back on again it should reset lights, buzzer and tracking.

Thank you :-)

All of the above is working as you write.

It was my mistake for not reading the manual in the box as well as the one from Skywatcher's site.

But is it normal for the slew buttons to not respond when you have turned either the buzzeer or lights off?

There is no motor noise at all with this situation indicating the mount is responding.

(still need to rebuild my tablet so I can use the bluetooth adaptor)

Tomorrow I will play with altering the slewing speeds just to check it is not that interfering with buzzer selection.

Thank you.

That is now making the mount work again. Having re-read both manuals can't find mention of this in obvious style though buttom of page 12 menations resuming cruising mode, so thank you for sharing really helpful.

I have the bits to make a cable to control this mount. The TTL cable I purchased (5V) has these pins

Black

1 power

Ground

Brown

2 Input

CTS (Clear to Send - Device is ready to receive)

Red

3 Output

VCC (+5v/+3.3v)

Orange

4 Output

PC serial Tx (TTL Rx)

Yellow

5  Input

PC serial Rx (TTL Tx)

Green

6 Output

RTS (Request to Send - PC has data to send)

I have a couple of RJ12 cables to plug in to the mount, any idea what goes where?

Unfortunately the colours are different to what I have. Had a fiddle with it earlier but no joy, will have another search around the net. Last option will be to take the mount apart for a look inside.

JonC - if you are trying to make a SW Synscan AZ cable (at the moment there is one for sale on astroboot) the cable colours dont matter, providing you connect the RJ12 pins to the correct pins on the RJ45 end.

i.e.

RJ12 pin 2 connects to RJ45 pin 6

RJ12 pin 3 connects to RJ45 pin 7 etc

I have rooted and rebuilt my Nexus tablet now and it is working great. Thew.

But I now see that SkySafari 4 Plus should be compatiable with my tablet is not listed as an available application to install.

So hoping that SkySafari 4 is going to be OK as it is the base level application. More reading required.

May actually finally get to test my mount.

Edited by happy-kat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have one of the bluetooth modules and am pretty happy with it over all. However, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you can use it to track the moon during the day. Obviously there are no stars visible to align to and I don't know how you get tracking started without alignment.

Thanks for any help.

Not tried it yet but the manual that came with my virtuoso implies the mount (not using blue tooth device) once it knows your latitude when you turn it on tracking is enabled straight off.

The virtuoso doesn't come with go to just the tracking feature out the box.

Edited by happy-kat

Not tried it yet but the manual that came with my virtuoso implies the mount (not using blue tooth device) once it knows your latitude when you turn it on tracking is enabled straight off.

The virtuoso doesn't come with go to just the tracking feature out the box.

Ah, I should have mentioned that I'm using the module with the AZ Goto mount rather than the Virtuoso one. Tracking isn't auto-enabled with this mount.

If it is like the other AZ then there is a 'home' position (usually putting the scope horizontal facing north) before you switch on. 

Helen

But this doesn't seem to enable tracking. Within the Virtuoso app there is an "Enable Track" option under the "Tracking" tab. When I click on this it says "Track enabled" but it doesn't appear to do anything unless I've aligned first, which I can't do during the day.

page 12

Auto Tracking - This feature allows for quick tracking of a celestial object while the hand control displays the coordinates the telescope is curretnly pointed at. If the star alignment procedure has already been performed, you can activate the AutoTracking mode any time. If not, make sure that the location and time have been properly entered. Before choosing the Auto Tracking mode, position the telescope so that the tube is level and pointed to the North.

The latter part of the paragraph suggests it might just track without star aligning.

You wont need the Virtuoso app in that you are using your mount (no bluetooth dongle) in a raw state to just track.

(just assuming based on manual and what I have read)

Edited by happy-kat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...