Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommended 10x50 bins

I've only handled a B&S Sierra indoors, so I'm not really qualified to comment meaningfully on it, but it seemed comfortable and the optics seemed pretty good.

Of the others, I would go for the Pentax: really nice bit of kit, and the locking focus is very useful for astronomy.

I've used the Ostara Elinor in its identical-but-less-expensive Strathspey WP incarnation. The one I tried had very crisp sharp optics. However, it is internally stopped to about 45mm effective aperture. It also suffers from focus lag, owing to the waterproofing O-rings on the eyepiece barrels doing their job properly.

I didn't like the Nikon Aculon at all, but some people love them - binoculars, as we keep saying, are very personal things.

If you can, try before you buy -- you are unlikely to be disappointed with any of these that "suit" you.

Donaldo,

The discontinued Nikon Action & now the replacement Nikon Aculon Porro prism binoculars are both notorious for very short eye relief.

For people who wear eyeglasses they are better off looking at the Nikon Action Extreme Porro prism binoculars.

As you can tell from my signature, I like the Pentax PCF WP II Porro prism binoculars. 

However, some individuals think that the Pentax PCF WP II binoculars have a FOV that is too narrow for them.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also throw in for consideration the Tento Russian 10x50s or the 7x50s. I have both and both have very sharp optics, but my favourites are the 7x50s- sharp out to 80% of the field (versus about 60-65% for the 10x pair), and easier to use as the lower magnification means less shake..however, if you have much light pollution the 10x will give better contrast via a smaller 5mm exit pupil compared to 7mm for the 7x.

I should mention I'm 59 and still prefer the 7x overall, even if my eyes don't dilate to 7mm any more (I don't know and care even less- I just go by the views I enjoy most!).

Good luck and happy birthday!

Dave

Hi Mr BinocularSky

Thanks for your reply. I'm just wondering what you didn't like about the Nikon option? Optics, handling, etc, or both? I doubt I'll get much opportunity to try before I buy as I'm purchasing online.

Many thanks,

Donaldo

The new distant selling regulations allows you to return goods if you want to, even if you just dont like the goods, so no worries buying on line.

Archived