Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 worm gear sliding

GyCx

After getting my EQ6 out for the first time in ages I noticed a LARGE amount of play in the RA. After engaging the RA Clutch the mount/scope would rotate about 1 cm. after removing the worm gear end caps the movement is in the worm gear shaft. as I rotate the RA axis the worm gear shaft protrudes in and out in tandem with the rotation movement. I have followed the procedure of adjusting the worm gear grub screws but no matter how careful I am the large amount of play is still there. Should the worm gear shaft display such a large amount of movement or is something wrong?

The worm shaft movement is there even with the end caps screwed down tight. the locking ring on one side seems to have no effect whether its tight or slackend off a little.

Astro babys guide has been followed. Hence mount now stripped down cleaned and re-greased. (needed a good clean and I thought maybe this maybe this could be the cause!).

Following the worm gear adjustment guide I can 'lock' the RA gear  tight ( 1/4 turn, loosen one side/tighten other) but the slightest minute turn and the large amount of play is back! I have noticed that the worm gear bearings slide within their housing's and on the gear side protrude into the inner chamber is this normal?

This maybe a silly idea! but the worm gear endcaps are hollowed in the middle which allows for the excessive movement in the worm gear shaft can one or both of these caps be filled with something to limit the shaft movement. As I understand it the shaft does need to be able to move but by how much?

Check you have put the bearing retaining ring into the correct side of the worm housing.

The bearing ring needs to be put in to the deeper threaded hole. If not you get the worm end float you are describing.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. I have checked this and the retaining ring is in the right place. I did notice a slight buckle in the brass gear on the worm shaft could this be the culprit. Im considering a belt upgrade kit but not sure if this will fix or should I get to the bottom of this issue first?

Phew! Fixed! It was the bearing from the retaining ring side getting stuck and not going down far enough. the ring must of played loose and the bearing slipped. Stay with a problem long enough!

I had to use the circlip pliers on the edge of the bearing and a gentle tap with the rubber hammer and down it went mm by mm stiff little bug**r tho.

Think my problem now though will be lack of play. still I know how to deal with that now tho. Taking things apart ....... priceless!

Thanks everyone

Archived