SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EOS Utility Live view zoom - greyed out?

David Smith

Occassionally, when I connect my 1100D to my laptop and start EOS Utility in live view, the zoom button / icon is greyed out. Anyone got any ideas why this happens?

Very annoying, the whole purpose of connecting to the lappy is to get better focus but can't do that without zoom.

Thanks

• 6 years later...

For the record I’ve also found having Magic Lantern installed (or used previously) can do strange things with  EOS utility and remote live view. On my 5dmk2 it completely stopped remote focus from the computer.

So it it maybe worth uninstalling it using their instructions even if your memory card doesn’t have it copied onto it anymore. I think the reset process clears all the memory presets added.

Just in case anyone reads this tread who has used it too and is having issues....

14 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

In my experience the on camera screen will give far better results than any tethering software for focus using x10 zoom etc.

Hi Alan

Can you expand on that?

To me it seems counter-intuitive to say focusing is easier on a 3inch screen than on a 12inch or more Laptop screen ?

Michael

7 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Alan

Can you expand on that?

To me it seems counter-intuitive to say focusing is easier on a 3inch screen than on a 12inch or more Laptop screen ?

Michael

I think tethering uses the basic video out rather than the processed image you see on the camera screen that has other options too like exposure simulation. I know I can easily see mag 6 stars and below on the live view screen.

Alan