SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NIKON D810A

Anyone using the new Nikon yet?

Canon seems to be the nominated leader for Astro work,  but I've  liked the  NIKON  brand since I started photography in the late 70's. I still want an FM2 but that's old hat now. Instead I built my system using the OM2sp system from Olympus.

I  subsequently sold the whole system in one foul sweep,  lenses, flashguns, everything in favour of going  with the  Nikon FM2 system ( two bodies )  but  instead, on a whim, after receiving the money from the  Olympus sale, I bought a Radio Control Aeroplane, Radio kit and everything required, and even took  control of the local R/C flying club? Even that hobby has passed, and what a great hobby it was.  Still have all the radios and kit, but no aircraft. sold them on too? Then some  Years later, a reasonable offer and cash-back  incentives were offered for the new D5000 so there went my investment, and there has been many upgrades since to the Nikon line up, but I do like the merits of my D5000, especially the twist-out/rotate live view screen.

A dedicated 'Astro' full frame Nikon  810A sounds good to me, but expensive too at about  £3K body only, and my present lenses wont fit!  I've not fully tested the limits of what's achievable from my present D5000 system on a Dobsonian, but I will  try, but I'm fully aware of the limits of exposure, motion / timing, from a static mount, with what I have right now, and  no intentions of something like an EQ5+ at any time soon? I have an EQ  mount that could be motorised, but its not my intention to waste any money on that.

But interesting to know if anyone has the new D810A and any results they may have already. 

I overlooked the fact,  that the 810A, being a dedicated unit, is  more sensitive to Infrared, which is suitable for  night time, but of less value to me  for daylight use. There are other issues worth considering too. I found this article interesting, https://photographylife.com/nikon-d810a-announcement  so for now, I think the 810A will  be mine in wishful thinking only?

I've got to say I'm a bit puzzled by this camera. Only reason I can see for wanting one, given that they're don't seem particularly useful for conventional photography, is if you want to use Nikon lenses for astrophotography. I guess if you already have one of these? 

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/telephotos/300mmedif20/index.htm :)

Archived