Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ADM Saddle

jabeoo1

I am fond of my secondhand Vixen Porta Mount.  It may well be an off-white / nicotine stained colour & the predecessor to the clean white Vixen Porta 2 but I find it completely adequate for my needs, and its more than sturdy for my grab & go solar setup with my Lunt LS50THa.

However I had a continuing niggle regarding the standard saddle, the larger main bolt-end was the main point of contact, as well as the secondary smaller 'safety' bolt, hardly a good use of the smooth surface area of a £37 Vixen dovetail bar !  

I felt the urge to over tighten them for peace of mind so the dreaded crash-bang noise never happened whilst my back was turned.   At the end of each session I found I would wrestle to undo my paranoid over-tightened bolts, leaving the dovetail dented but at least the scope was safe.  

In the back of my mind I needed a good solution and searched for one & found a branded piece of metal.

I did not think it was possible to get this excited about what is essentially a 'lump' of metal.  However this is a very nice lump of metal.  

The ADM Vixen-type saddle in this case the SkyTee-II (VSAD-TAK8) version (Note there are variants for different needs) is precision at its best. Its perfectly machined to a standard NASA would give a nod at.  The subtle functional features leave no trick missed.  ADM have produced exactly what was needed with no stone unturned.  The tapering finish at both ends of the internal connecting surfaces mean the dove-tail bar slots into a bite and central position before tightening even if you/me are being a bit cack-handed about accuracy.  The smooth fixed bolts are spring loaded and well greased so when undoing there is no rattling or sticking surfaces, and at rest in any widest open or tightest closed position everything stays solid.  Its these ergonomics that divide something that 'does the job' or  is 'exceptional at the job'.  The ADM does the latter.    

All I had to do was remove the standard saddle (2 Bolts with an allen key), screw on the ADM using the inner 2 holes with the 2 supplied bolts. The Lunt dove-tail bar slotted in & is snuggly tightened with ease and hugged all the way along.  The scope is safe & no more horrible pressed indentations along the dovetail from the standard saddle bolts.  Its much better now and the peace of mind over the old setup is well worth the outlay.  

Anyone who has a Vixen Porta 1 or 2 (or maybe the mini even ?) should consider this upgrade as its perfection. 

It is true that good things come in small packages. 

• 1 month later...

I am awaiting the delivery of the skytee 2 mount which I am wanting to tats ha optic star 127 achromat refractor . I have been advised by damnut and outhers to upgrade to the adm sad vale got extra safety and piece of mind. All these extras help empty my piggy bank , bug I guess when you got them you got them for life.

I am awaiting the delivery of the skytee 2 mount which I am wanting to tats ha optic star 127 achromat refractor . I have been advised by damnut and outhers to upgrade to the adm sad vale got extra safety and piece of mind. All these extras help empty my piggy bank , bug I guess when you got them you got them for life.

You can also fit this saddle to the skytee, but you will need a pair of countersunk bolts, i fitted one to my skytee

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/baader-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp.html

• 1 year later...

I would like to reinitiate this review and topic. I have been considering upgrading the saddle on my Vixen Porta II mount and been interested in this review and subsequently have discussed in a bit more detail with James the merits of this model and the reasoning for upgrading.

Whilst adequate, I do not like the tightening bolts on the stock saddle, which can cause scratch's and mar the surface of the dovetail bar and being a little wobbly, appear not to be particularly well engineered. The alignment of my Revelation dovetail bar is always a bit of a faff to. The spring loaded compression bar of the ADM and tapered fit will be a good improvement.

It would be interesting to learn if anyone else has replaced their stock saddle on a porta mount and what they have replaced it with or if considering an ADM (VSAD-TAK8), which is supplied through FLO . Another saddle that came to my attention is the Berlebach Dovetail Clamp with pressure shoe. This is a much more compact unit although it has only one locking bolt and it also be interesting to learn if anyone has considered or used this saddle.

Archived