SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M50. More Open Cluster Action

MattJenko

I have increased the saturation of the stars and the blue has come through around the edges of the blue stars, it doesn't appear on the redder, more orange stars. I am using filters so it is not blue CA fringing in the same sense that the achros scopes have.

I have increased the saturation of the stars and the blue has come through around the edges of the blue stars, it doesn't appear on the redder, more orange stars. I am using filters so it is not blue CA fringing in the same sense that the achros scopes have.

Thanks Matt I did see your post reply , can I ask one more? do you use a Star mask and will it help in removing the blue round Stars .Save me starting a new post.

Thanks

les

Hi Les,

No I didn't use a star mask to isolate blue round stars, the only masking I did was to protect ALL the stars when reducing the slight red colour cast of the background and to do a different saturation curve on the stars themselves.

If you are using PixInsight like me, a star mask can certainly help with blue fringing specifically though, in that you can create a softened star mask, and then using PixelMath, you can subtract a tighter star mask and this will leave you a de-ringing type mask where the center of the star is protected, as is the background and you can minimize the effect of the blue halo specifically.

Thanks Martyn. I am using the dedicated x0.85 reducer/flattener. In reality there is no real need to use it with my small CCD chip, but for me it actually moves the focus point inwards, so there are no tube extensions needed and also, everything screws in nicely, so its a pragmatic decision rather than a field of view or flattening one.

Archived