SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So you saw the eclipse, send your report and post your picture

DrRobin

Wow what a great set of photos from all over, keep them coming.

As for my own efforts, we got views through the cloud up until about 09:30 and then a lucky break in the cloud so we saw it in white light, Ha, eclipse glasses and my solar projector all the way through the best bits. There was around 30 people at the community event in Heddon on the Wall and I took around 16 runs in WL and the same in Ha. Sadly I have had no opportunity to even start processing, there should be a few good ones.

Just to give you a flavour of the set up, here is a link to ITV's website, scroll a fair way down. I am on the left next to the scopes.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/topic/newcastle/

Robin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad I didn't make the mistake of getting too excited about it ... :p

Miraculously cleared here exactly three minutes before the end ...  :rolleyes:

Nothing worth posting through the Tal but a few snaps grabbed through the murk with the 75-300mm were OK ...  :smiley:

Best I could manage ...

post-21219-0-71720500-1426875547_thumb.j

Nice one, Robin, can't be bad being called an expert by ITV :laugh:  Glad your event got some great views of the spectacle :)

Very cloudy start to the main event. We could feel the temp had dipped some way into the eclipse, and it was interesting to hear a lot of birds tweeting away and seeing them settling in trees. There was a feeling of dusk about it.

I was starting to think it might be a blank our way, but Sarah called out and said "look there's a little bit of blue there" --- completely nowhere near the sun or heading that way as it turned out! I swiftly headed back indoors, less optimistic than Sarah, who sensed it was worth staying outside for. Not that long after, I was proven wrong as usual when doubting the Mrs, Sarah said she could see the sun! Hurry!

It was a beautiful glowing crescent, like a perfect crescent moon but with a mystical glow, so pretty and striking. Now of course we took great care looking at the sun through thick cloud and making sure no thinner cloud was near.

After watching it for a little while, I realised my Quark and white light imaging setups were pointless with the sun so strongly filtered by clouds (we could see nothing in the eclipse glasses) so went and grabbed the DSLR. This one was one of the last DSLR shots, a wider shot. We could see some clearer patches on the way, and the Quark did see a little bit of action near the end.

16687412960_73f2eb4db5_b.jpg

If I have anything in h-alpha it will be lucky because there were two nice proms either side of the chunk the moon was eating of out Sol, and the main sunspot was nearby.

Lucky to get these due to a lack of planning on my part and having to take my dad to a hospital appointment just after the eclipse started.

Amazingly  lucky that the clouds cleared just in time for me to set things up before I had to leave.

Leaving a scope unattended that is tracking the sun is a bit naughty, but it turned out ok.

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

I too spotted this after I posted my pictures.

Thin cloud for most of the build up followed by thick cloud just before 'total'. I lent my nextdoor neighbour my welding mask and he seemed to enjoy it.

Had a lot of problems stacking in both Registax and Autostakkert but then I don't really know what I am doing with solar images.

Despite the conditions it was good to watch.

It's good to see a lot of kids have joined in too.

My offerings are BMP extractions from AVIs then messed about with in Photoshop.

PST and the DMK camera

cheers

gaj

5_1_b.tif

11_1.tif

12_4.tif

I was ready for imaging from the obbo until at 8am we took the decision to take the kids off on a road trip to find some blue sky. So threw two scopes in the boot, two tripods, a camera and a flask and off west and North to find blue sky.

45 minutes later down the M4 and up to Wantage in South Oxon we found bluish skies and a clearing view. So amazingly I and the rest of the family got to see the whole thing.

Couldn't get the pictures I wanted since a tripod isn't the same as a telescope mount but we tried a few afocals. Watched in both the Quark in H-alpha and in white light through the Herschel wedge and it was clear and sharp all the way through. The few draping sheets that formed prominences at the edge were just a bonus.

Memorable day.

Mike

First off, congratulations to everyone who got a photo of the eclipse. What a show!

I still can't quite believe I actually managed to see this one - my previous attempts have been thwarted by our arch nemesis, which I thought would strike again. This week deepest, darkest Essex has been particularly dark with not a glimpse of sunshine (until today as it turned out).

So yesterday I decided that I'd drive as far I needed to get a view. Checking the cloud predictions, it looked as if Lincolnshire was the nearest best bet (this tweet was very useful: https://twitter.com/weatherquest_uk/status/578494635921780736). Again this morning, predictions had a clear band through northern East Anglia, so I headed off in that direction first thing this morning.

I ended up in a lay-by on the A17 just outside Sutton Bridge where I spotted someone else with a scope set up (hello if you're reading!) I had my kit setup by 9:20, so just in time for the maximum.

It turned out about a 150 mile round-trip, but was worth it - I'm hooked. Now, just to conveniently time a family holiday to the US for 2017. I need to get me some totality.   :grin:

post-6564-0-16273400-1426881791_thumb.jp

great image

- my Lunt ls50 paid for itself today . I was at my school and got so many 'wows!' from fellow teachers and stunned pupils .Initially I was worried in brum at 9-15 as cloud was lightly obscuring view in ha but in 10 mins it had cleared and I was glad I took the ha to the school instead of a filtered Mak,

I loved the proms today as the pupils and teachers could really start to understand the scale and ferocity of the sun,

Finally I liked the subtle appearance of the moons ink cratered profile against the furious pattern of an ha sun.All in all a great day.

There are some cracking images in this thread :)

I had some rather persistent thin cloud all the way up to the half way point. But it did finally clear and I managed to capture about 60Gb of data. 

Here is the first processed image - currently my favorite.

Ant

Didn't think I'd image today (DSLR up in smoke).  However we let our daughter miss school in the morning, went round the inlaws with my scope and a few pairs of homemade eclipse glasses (using proper baader film).  Great time had by all with clear-ish skies until just after 9:45.  In the end I took some snaps with my phone camera (Samsung S3) through my SW_ED100 equipped with baader film, via a 32mm plossl, handheld (AZ4 mount).  I'm not going to win APOD with this one but a nice memento.

composite2

thanks philyo btw, hope you don't mind me copying your format.

DSC 0025

Cloud here in Oxford, but that seemed to work well as a filter !!  Did not expect to see/catch much looking at Sat24 over breakfast,  popped into the garden and took a few with our modded 450d and kit lens at 55mm,  these came out the usual pink but clicking greyscale gets very close to what I was seeing.  Auto settings including focus, cropped/greyscale.

post-37988-0-91728900-1426887482_thumb.j

post-37988-0-88424500-1426887485_thumb.j

post-37988-0-29530600-1426887490_thumb.j

post-37988-0-09645000-1426887492_thumb.j

There's some cracking images here, especially those in HA.  Well done everyone.

I got set up in the back garden by about 8am.  Gloomy, misty and not a peep of the Sun's disc until about 0910 when I could just see enough to get the scope aimed properly and camera focussed - still too gloomy for the filter at that point, but soon popped it on as it got closer to maximum.  Cloud then slowly began to clear, but whilst it got better it never quite went completely.  3 shots below from many - these are at 0915, 0932 and 1032 taken through the ED80 with an Olympus E420.  Surprised how dark it went at maximum.  Birds went quiet and even the traffic noise seemed to disappear.

I loved the "Cheshire Cat" phase.  All in all a wonderful, wonderful experience.  Spain 2026 here I come...!

post-12224-0-64167300-1426889087_thumb.j

post-12224-0-02665500-1426889242_thumb.j

post-12224-0-65971600-1426889373_thumb.j

Thanks for looking.

Clear skies!

Great sets of pics everyone!

I looked at clear outside yesterday 3 times, the first two said we would have clear skies from 08.00 to 10.00 and later on and this morning it was showing there was going to be some cloud cover,but not 100%. Up at 6 to get daughter ready for school, I got everything together,camera  bag, filter laptop and cables and tripod, son in his pushchair and of we went for out 15-20 minute walk to school. I was amazed at how crisp and bright it was, the clouds were light and whispy. Got to school and set up kit on a nice hard wooden table in readiness for it to start. The children watched it through on the laptop before registration and afterwards they came out as it was getting close to "total" Cloud started to thicken towards the end, the eclipse glasses stopped working, but my camera was still giving images without the solar filter. It did dim light wise to a degree, and it certainly did drop cold. Then that was pretty much it as the cloud dwarfed the eclipse.

I really didn't expect to get anything at all, but still manged these

16688813700_8fc5ac78bb_b.jpgeclipse montage by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Archived