Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What happened to stargazing live during Stargazing Live?

kerrylewis

Excellent coverage and with our 99% cloud coverage was good to watch.

BBC news had an appauling news bit about a viewer had been clever and shared a selfie wearing a welding mask !! That was not clover can't beleive that got through and they just showed it again.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:shocked:

The point in which the 'Diamond ring' appears was stunning. I was viewing it from my desktop computer at work (it was authorised :grin: )  and I did not expect such an amazing view

In fact when the sun began to appear again on the right hand side there is a moment where you can see a 'rippled' effect on the sunlight. At this moment Brian confirms what I was thinking in that the sun light is being directed through some of the moons mountains ranges, stunning! 

Have to admit it put a lump in my throat!

Epic stuff! Thought it was me being a bit soft, LOL.

Unfortunately I didn't see the bit you watched as I was called away.

We are all entitled to our own opinion but, respectfully, I think you guys are giving the show a hard time.  It's Stargazing LIVE remember with LIVE being the operative word.  A very difficult hobby with very faint objects for a "live" show and many contingencies required in case of bad weather.  IMO anything that stimulates and enthuses the public's attention onto this subject is a great idea and maybe many people are now turned into fresh astronomers with a love of what us guys do!  Also recall that we are relative experts compared to Joe public and this program is not meant for hardcore astronomers but for popularising science.

I concede though that this series has been a bit "spaceflight" orientated.  Brave hero that he is, I fail to see the need for Buzz Aldrin to be on this program.

I'm glad that they managed to get Buzz on the show he looks fairly fit but that can be deceptive. He may not be here in the not too distant future!!!!! Then we will all lose a real hero of, well at least my generation! There aren't many of real hero's around. Remember for my generation people like him generated an enormous amount of star gazers. In 69 we all were nuts for more on space whether it be rockets, moon landings or the stars. Once he is gone we will all lose the chance of actually meeting or seeing a real spaceman in  the flesh. It was a really dangerous enterprise then, not subjected to the "namby pamby" rules we now have.  Please don't get me wrong I'm all for safety, but it will most likely never be like that again, with the raw energy that was displayed in that era.

Derek ( Old *&^$)

I thoroughly enjoyed last night :smile: 

I was too busy watching the eclipse with a local school to watch their coverage of the eclipse but have recorded it and, from what I hear, it was excellent. 

Steve 

From previous years it seems to have been to looking through ahd using telescopes that have created the intrerest. That is where people start, that is where kids start.

Once you have a scope you may develop an interest in the technical or academic aspect of astronomy.

The first year of Stargazing Live the retailers just about sold out of scopes, SGL then got floods of "Which end do I look through?" questions. The second year followed similar but not as intense. The next year very little and that was when the program sort of went inside where screens and production technology appeared to dominate. Actual telescopes and actual observing was minimal. To an extent Stargazing Live became another Science progam on the BBC.

I think that if they had a small production team out with an astromony club in a field looking at the sky and talking about what you can actually do and see with real people they would get a much greater interest.

There is huge difference between being told about Jupiter, seeing detailed images of Jupiter, watching an excellent CGI of Jupiter and the sheer simplicity of looking through a small scope or even binoculars and actually seeing it yourself. It is the difference between "I saw Jupiter" and "I watched a program on Jupiter".

Having a 4 year old hang on to your scope because they can SEE Jupiter and they flatly do not give a damn about the queue of 20 that are waiting to have a look gives you one option - you tell the 20 they are going to have to wait. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I don't disagree, nothing beats looking through a scope. I just mean it's difficult to convey that in an exciting way on a television programme, they need something that will engage millions not individuals. I can well imagine there's a horrendous rush to buy astronomical equipment afterwards without knowing how to use it. I do archery as a hobby, and after the Olympics there were loads of people buying bows and arrows without any idea what to do with them. Which is worrying because they are potentially very dangerous weapons!!

I have no particular gripe with the content but it is billed as Stargazing Live. Perhaps it would be better as "Stargazing 20xx" (prerecorded) with "Stargazing Live!" (actually live) as the follow up? At least the bit that purports (or needs) to be interactive would be ...

AndyG

I have no particular gripe with the content but it is billed as Stargazing Live. Perhaps it would be better as "Stargazing 20xx" (prerecorded) with "Stargazing Live!" (actually live) as the follow up? At least the bit that purports (or needs) to be interactive would be ...

AndyG

I suppose getting enough guaranteed "LIVE" content would be at best difficult if not impossible with our weather.

Derek

On a different not my previous post, I was very disappointed with the so called live feed from the aeroplane camera. There was obvious fringing in the image at the edges of the sun, most likely caused by filming through a aeroplane window. The BBC spent so much money on presenters and sending them to the outer edges of the UK , this includes their food transport  wages and what ever else they think they need. ( maybe a new hair do! :mad: )

BUT why did they not spend a bit less on them and more on the optics  and fit the plane out properly with an external camera. If the Army,  Navy and Royal Airforce can do it on planes and helicopters why not the BBC. We do pay through the nose for very little as I see it. Presenters of programs realise hundreds of thousands in wages each, some even millions. Surely a few tens of thousands on a properly set up and equipped  aircraft would not be too much to ask for. It is not as though an eclipse here on home soil happens every year!!!!

I am of the opinion that one or two people could have presented the program and the rest spent on the equipment to show us the Moon and  Sun's splendid show without all the rest of wasted content!

Derek

It was clear I wanted to go take an Orion image. As I can't see it clearly enough now in the garden went to a local darker location with clear view, first checked the BBC website to see what was being asked for, no mention of date, went to site. Where did that haze come from, clear but not clear. Aborted trip and came home and find out I was too late anyway the Orion image has been made.

Doh and Doh

Not sure what everyone's moaning about. Despite the title of the programme I don't think the idea is to get people using telescopes, it's to generate an interest in astronomy in people who know nothing at all about it. And they are doing this because they have a primetime slot built around a major event like an eclipse which anyone can see, schools are involved, and there's these mass participation projects like finding an unknown galaxy or a supernova. It's easy, free, and a nice first step for people who may want to go on to complicate their lives by getting into telescopes!

Yes, I've an interest in astro, aircraft, and weather and this is a common theme. True enthusiasts of the hobbies are the most critical of public programmes / airshows, etc. Naturally it's because we are passionate about the subjects and we have high expectations for the content. However, we just need to remember that these programmes / events are not really targeted for us... they are targeted for the general public to try and ignite their interests. When it comes to astro, the general public guy doesn't want any hassle - just straight forward info and some eye candy to perhaps get him interested in the subject. 

I personally take them for what they are and just enjoy them. it's better than no programme on the telly on the subject. I've personally enjoyed the shows and really enjoyed the eclipse show. Great to be experiencing it for myself and then watching views from Faroes, plane, etc. 

As a side note, I was really impressed with the results of the Orion stacking. Pretty cool how clearly the Horsehead and Flame came out!

There is nothing to moan about (and I'm in Yorkshire).  When you consider the audience and outreach potential it is nothing short of inspirational, wide reaching and a fresh view on all matters celestial.  When I invite friends to use my kit I don't expect them to understand the detail behind it and the hours I put in to ensure correct use of it.  They should just enjoy the experience.  I'd rather receive a couple of questions from a teenager any day which showed they were thinking hard about the evolution of an eclipse (as I did on the day) than ask them to try and pick out a load of fuzzy Messier objects one freezing cold night.  I do that bit on my own. I really enjoyed every episode. Well done BBC.

Really enjoyed all the programs this year, I think it had something for almost everybody. The eclipse show was fantastic, we had three things of beauty in one show, Lucie, Liz and the eclipse, whats there to complain about?

The other thing I noticed in talking with people about the eclipse was the sense of awe it inspired, it kind of made people realize that we are at the mercy of the universe and even the most powerful government in the world has no control, influence or say in the matter, for a small area of the world the light went out and there was naff all anyone could do about it. I think it's the kind of reality check humanity needs now and again.

I thought coinciding this years Stargazing Live with an actual astronomy event worked really. Got some enthusiasm building about the show.. and should defiantly be done again. Shame there's not much on the horizon for the upcoming 12 months or so I believe? The lunar eclipse in September is no good.. at least for a live show! The transit of Mercury in May 2016 could certainly be used? That must be a contender.

Archived