Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

kerrylewis

What happened to stargazing live during Stargazing Live?

OK, it might be better named Space Watch Live or something, but in fairness, we've discussed each year what exactly is the objective and target audience for the show.  How is such a program and the TV medium going to really portray 'stargazing' live when the cameras cannot do justice to what an eyeball Mk1 can see; once you start focusing on what to see with scopes etc then you're moving towards the enthusiast audience (who probably watch SaN anyway) and away from attracting/encouraging  the newbie to look at the skies

It was never really on my "to do" list and I slept through that part of the evening anyway.

Forgot all about it until I read this thread just now.

No bother, I've seen it in previous years...

• Like 1

I really enjoyed last nights show and I am surprised by the amount of negatives comments. :huh:

Buzz was great to listen to and yes you could have a separate show with him but I don't think the BBC should be criticised for managing to get a true legend onto their show.

The moon article with Lucie Green was well presented and offered a beginner an idea of how to start observing or imaging, even the section on how they are trying to recover stolen moon rock was fascinating.

They did have a live image of Jupiter for a short time though it was pretty over exposed, I guess they wanted to highlight the 4 moons. It certainly surprised me that they had clear skies, I looked out of my window and it was thick cloud so good for them.

Anyway will be looking forward to tonight's episode.

• Like 2

FWIW.

Spend all the time you can with  Buzz and his contemporaries say I. Forget numbingly dull sports people, vacuous pop stars and other so called celebrities, the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronauts are true heroes and role models and we should cherish and celebrate them while they are still with us.

Buzz is 85 this year!

Nice to see Lucie and be reminded what a natural and fluid presenter she is ............

• Like 7

I agree, but it's a bit corny being named after a character from a kids animated film...

• Like 2

The BBC is nothing like it used to be, the BBC channels have now become cooking channels, games channels, non-reality channels etc, which is a crime for what we have to pay for them.

So any kind of rarely shown non-repeated sciencey bits that has the ability to actually provide the general public with a tiny amount of education can't be a bad thing - I spose.

• Like 1

All depends on the intended audience, but its difficult to represent/portray what someone will see with Mk1 eyeball (would peeps be watching live on a tablet standing outside), or a pair of general use binocs that they may have.  OK last night Lucie was giving guidance on what MO's to find and where, but we then get shown the usual photos of these from decent scopes/imaging - does Joe Public appreciate that they are going to see feint fuzzy blobs without the same kit?

I enjoyed the follow up show much more than the main event. I always thought that this was the beebs attempt at producing a starry equivalent of the very successful Spring watch. But this format just does not work for astronomy

Edited by laudropb

Missed the programme, we were busy outside stargazibng LIVE with enthusiastic visitors and their children.  :smiley:

We missed it too.

Strange how the BBC can advertise loads of other rubbish programs just before the news etc - but fail to let people know about this one.

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoyed it and am quite looking forward to the next episodes as well, this is definitely the sort of content there needs to be more of on our screens.

I can understand the cries of lack of stargazing in a show called stargazing live although it has never been heavy on that to begin with and if I'm honest it doesn't bother me a great deal*. I mean they do organise many events to run in conjunction with it and promote getting out there, it can't be all that bad.

I could tell the show was a success as my 5yo caught the start and was asking about Phobos, at bed time for his story he asked for his "Big Book of Space" book and skipped straight to the Mars section so he could learn more about Phobos.

That people, is job done!

It's what it's all about and if it can inspire him to learn more it will inspire others.

I really do think we should all get behind it and push for more educational content on our screens because complaining about it is unlikely to get better content, it'll likely get canned altogether or we end up with some History/Discovery Channel pap about ancient aliens or whatever fantasy Michu Kaku is pedalling at the time. More decent content like this will only breed better content in the future.(we can dream anyway)

I get that it may not be for everybody but the ratings don't lie nor does the upsurge in interest following the shows so something must be right about it.

* Taking the lack of stargazing a bit further I really do believe there is room for a once a month 45 minute long complementary partner show to S@N, maybe on a bi-weekly rotation, to recapture a pure stargazing theme. In my time there has never been a pure show aimed at or about us backyarder types. These days there is more than enough astro industry to keep the shows content fresh constantly. It would involve meeting with astronomers in their homes or their observing sites, astro clubs, amateur science,  have good in depth kit reviews, lots of how to's, an imagers corner, etc... No stories about the latest scientific discovery or probe on it's way to an asteroid.

Just pure enthusiast joy.

Niche market, yes! But I am 1000% positive it would be of benefit to our great past time and gather new comers to it as well.

I am available as a consultant. :D

• Like 4

More Lucie Green please :smile:

Steve

Shame she didn't stick her arm out and say "this one" when talking about Betelgeuse, seeing as it was right beside her.

• Like 1

She was looking *away* from Orion, ie towards the camera. Unless she had a monitor she wouldn't know where Betengeuse was in relation to her arm.

I'm afraid that I agree with the general drift of this thread.Stargazing live (haha-there's a misnoner!)wasn't exactly top of my agenda last night,after seeing it previously.'Watched' 5mins with subtitles,then there was  the 'Buzz interview' which ,I concur, should have been a programme in it's own right.This 'show' has in previous years,come across as an even more dumbed down version of 'Horizon' with too much emphasis on cosmology- as soon as I read the word 'Blackhole' in the TV schedule,I cross that programme out of that evenings viewing.    Later,last night,after the annual dissapointment that is 'Stargazing(sic)' I opened up my newly delivered 'ASTRONOMY NOW' for a proper astro-hit to discover that the cover screamed " BRIAN COX- back on our screens in  Stargazing live' like some astronomical version of 'HELLO/OK' magazine.....signal fading.... RANT ENDING..... over and out.

I enjoyed it for the most part. Some comments:

Both Lucie Green and Liz Bonin should get more screentime.

Slightly painful to watch Buzz, a pre-recorded segment/interview with him that could have been carefully edited would have been better.

Some people actually think a 60minute version dedicated to showing a bunch of people in a field would be interesting??

• Like 1

Didn't see the program so cannot comment on how good/bad it was but surely with the technology available today it would not be difficult to have two or three scopes set up on different targets with a CCD camera linked to a large screen so the presenters could talk you through what you are looking at. 

• Like 1

Didn't see the program so cannot comment on how good/bad it was but surely with the technology available today it would not be difficult to have two or three scopes set up on different targets with a CCD camera linked to a large screen so the presenters could talk you through what you are looking at. 

There's a thought....instead of sending Brian C. et al globetrotting,why can't we have stargazing live from  'scopes across the globe? and I don't necessarily mean large 

,professional telescopes.

• Like 1

I should read 3 pages I will later but they should have dropped the robotic arm bit (so not stargazing related) and got outside it was clear!!!

Brian and Buz were OK, robotic arm was irrelevant cloudy weather filler, did I mention it was clear skies!

Wot, you mean like happens on Night skies network every night?

I expect someone would tell you that's impossible

• Like 1

We still have two episodes to go :smile: 

I am hoping they finish the series with advice on how to get started. That would be good. 

Steve

• Like 3

I thought it was more like Spaceflight Live, very little Astronomy by comparison. I will watch tonight but after last night Im not expecting much difference, shame they appear to be moving away from Astronomy

• Like 1

Wot, you mean like happens on Night skies network every night?

I expect someone would tell you that's impossible

You mean they do STARGAZING LIVE!!!!!!!!  :shocked:  :shocked:  :shocked:

I was a little disappointed with last nights, as a good amount of people have said, they had great opportunity to "stargaze live" and really failed to do so, i wont be watching tonight, might look at it over the weekend on catch up  

• Like 1

Slightly painful to watch Buzz, a pre-recorded segment/interview with him that could have been carefully edited would have been better.

We all grow old and perhaps slow down a bit

Buzz is an elderly man and handled the live TV situation well . I stand by my previous post, we should celebrate him and his peers and appreciate their brave and amazing contribution to space science and exploration.  It will not be long now before all that generation of astronauts are gone forever, they were a breed apart and I don't think we will ever see their like again.

I would rather listen to Buzz reading his shopping list than most of the talking heads we are subjected to on TV.

Edited by nebogipfel
  • Like 10