Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone fancy a meet up tomorrow 18/3/15

Matthew

The weather looks promising for tomorrow and now my astro gear is out of storage im heading out for a few hours up Blaenavon Does anyone fancy a few hours out ? ( I'll have my 400p with me if anyone fancies a butchers )

I will have a look about 3ish and if things still look promising i will let you all know.I will be up the site about 6ish,the likelyhood is unless its 100% cloud cover im going anyway as i want a few hours out of the house lol

Thats ok tony i knew a few were heading up to lucksall early,i would be there myself but im 12 hour nights all weekend and rachels not 100%.The conditions look a bit 'murky ' for the valleys but the forecast fro brecon looks pretty good,does anyone fancy a session at the visitor center ?

.......................................................................... the forecast fro brecon looks pretty good,does anyone fancy a session at the visitor center ?

Do you mean the Garwnan Forest Visitor Centre, just off the A470 by Llyn-on Reservoir ?

Its the Brecon Beacons National Park Visitor centre mike,not far from libanus......heres the postcode

LD3 8ER

Ive never been there before but i had a chat with the lady at the centre on the phone and she confirmed the toilets will be left open and that theres no light there ( maybe one if the cleaner is around but she wont be there long ).The weather looks good up till 11 it may be a bit hazy but theres plenty of bright objects to look at im aiming to be there about 6 as i want to find somewhere tidy to set up in the light.

Been to the brecons center once before Matt, was -5c, but the dark sky there is fantastic. Good to see you out and about again.

should have had the licence back on the 16th but still waiting for the DVLA to get their heads out of their A***S, maybe another 5 weeks :(

Pat

Should have gone last night :)

16668371850_2dc721eeb6_c.jpg

Northen Lights Cray Reservoir 17-03-2015 QSPsig by psmithuk, on Flickr

Nice photo.  :smiley:

Are you familiar with the old disused bridge about a half mile up the road from the spot where you took the photo ?

There are bushes along side it high enough to block out light from passing cars, a nice out of the way spot to observe.

Just got in,i was very lucky weather wise.There was a little murk low down but the majority was crystal clear up to 9 30 when i packed up.The centre is a very nice place to observe and its pretty dark.I bumped into 2 blokes who were out with their dslr's,they were speechless after seeing jupiter in a 16" dob.I wish i was out last night how much of the aurora was visable to the naked eye peter ?

Nice photo.  :smiley:

Are you familiar with the old disused bridge about a half mile up the road from the spot where you took the photo ?

There are bushes along side it high enough to block out light from passing cars, a nice out of the way spot to observe.

Yes used to use it for SRT training... Gone over the edge of that one many a time...

The other option is to turn right at the junction a bit further on and take the back road... A favourite of mine in the Snow....

Peter...

Yes used to use it for SRT training... Gone over the edge of that one many a time...

The other option is to turn right at the junction a bit further on and take the back road... A favourite of mine in the Snow....

Matt - very feint  naked eye basically saw it as a dimming/tint  the sky...

Peter...

Archived