SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meeting a Childhood Hero

scotastro

West Yorkshire AS hosted Buzz Aldrin on 30th March.

The Moon landings lead to my interest in Astronomy so being able to get up close to a personal hero was brilliant.

The only downside was the £100 charge for an autograph - ouch.

The next event is 10th October 2008 with Fred Haise (Apollo 13) - tickets on sale now

Scotastro

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a bit less than the hourly rate of a lawyer, but at least they would draft an entire letter and not just scribble their name.

It is nice that you met a childhood hero, shame people have to cash in on stuff like this.

What you should say is this:

'Can I have your autograph'

'Yeah sure, that will be £100.00 please'

'Ok, could you make it out to me personally'

Yeah sure, what's your name'

'[fill in your name here]... that will be £100.00 please.'

I think that this is very interesting topic.

I believe that the Money is justifiable if it allows you to get to talk to the man, and ask him questions etc - this way only a select few real fans will get the opportunity.

At the end of the day, different people will use their fame differently - Just look at Sir Patrick Moore. He gave and signed two books to me, and allowed me to spend the whole afternoon at his house, and use his telescope. he didn't charge me a penny! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but I really don't see what the problem is here. He wasn't paid any great amount of money for risking his neck, normal airforce salary rates. His recollections and experience pretty unique and like it was pointed out earlier no-one's forcing anyone to pay.Only 12 men have walked on the surface of the moon a few have since died, hundreds of thousands of people find it all fascinating (I bet there weren't too many empty seats). 100 quid for his autograph-peanuts !

Good luck to the guy.

To be cynical- it'll be worth shedloads after he's died. I can't afford that, but I'd still pay! Just to meet him and try and find a different question to ask him would have been nice, but unfortunately missed out on it altogether so more than a little miffed. He wrote the book on orbital mechanics !! An absolute genius, thoroughly professional and certainly a little geeky and lacking in social aspirations prefering to discuss flight matters and study to going down the mess hall or bar. More qualifications then you could shake a stick at !!

Someone paid over 40K just to see Led Zepplin -100 quid for a real piece of history to pass to your grandkids, cheap as chips !

Interesting to see the different reactions.

I would say the signature was worth it, but in contrast Alan Bean and Charlie Duke who gave talks previously signed one item without charge. It would be interesting to have know if Buzz had charged £50 if he would have got more than twice the takings.

Scotastro

I'm sorry but I really don't see what the problem is here. He wasn't paid any great amount of money for risking his neck, normal airforce salary rates. His recollections and experience pretty unique and like it was pointed out earlier no-one's forcing anyone to pay.Only 12 men have walked on the surface of the moon a few have since died, hundreds of thousands of people find it all fascinating (I bet there weren't too many empty seats). 100 quid for his autograph-peanuts !

Good luck to the guy.

To be cynical- it'll be worth shedloads after he's died. I can't afford that, but I'd still pay! Just to meet him and try and find a different question to ask him would have been nice, but unfortunately missed out on it altogether so more than a little miffed. He wrote the book on orbital mechanics !! An absolute genius, thoroughly professional and certainly a little geeky and lacking in social aspirations prefering to discuss flight matters and study to going down the mess hall or bar. More qualifications then you could shake a stick at !!

Someone paid over 40K just to see Led Zepplin -100 quid for a real piece of history to pass to your grandkids, cheap as chips !

Dont think you could argue with that,very eloquently put Karlo :thumbright:

I have no issue in paying to see the man, but £100 for an autograph is seriously taking the Mick.

I'd pay £100 to spend and hour or two (as part of an audience) to listen to the man talking about the moon landing etc. But not his sig - I'd want that for free...

Ant

In 7 days I'll be meeting Al Worden, from Apollo 15.

I'll try get his autograph for free., maybe even a photo of the both of us :(

Check out the Space Shop on the Kennedy website. You can spend many many more times the £100 on signed items.

Mind you some of them are first edition prints signed by all 12 Moon walkers!

Not bad for the price of a small hatchback :D

Don't get me wrong I have objection to buying autographs from ebay or other such traders but I think it is wrong for the person giving the autograph to charge for it.

I know that sounds like a contradiction but imagine Tom Cruise. Youbuy his autograph on ebay it will cost you a pretty penny but if when he walks down the red carpet at the oscars he signed the paper and then said that will be £100.00 please he would not get out alive.

If the astronaut or whoever want to sell their signatures on ebay, or whereever then fine, but that is not the same thing as the guy standing in front of you and then asking for the money (or even having to pay for it then you go and queue up).

• 5 years later...

If he offered his autograph for free, do you think he'd ever get anything else done?

Not sure that holds water James? The venue is a high school so even a sell-out won't involve large numbers, but I doubt the time available for autographs will be dependent on whether you are given one for free or have to buy one.

If you don't value his autograph enough to pay for it, why would you want it?

True, but there is a limit surely? 'Value' is a personal judgement call.

As it happens, it seems that things have changed since the Buzz Aldrin visit...

"Your admission ticket price also includes one free autograph..."

Peace and goodwill all round :smiley:

Charge for entrance to the event, and perhaps a small fee for an autograph afterwards. I can't see many young kids being "proud" of the autographs they paid £100 for in the future but I will still be happy with my freely given Charlie Duke autograph!

AndyG

Archived