SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Grimsby and a little question ;)

matty01

Hi guys 

Im new to the forum and have signed up due to starting out with my first telescope (yet to be purchased) and would like some questions answering and so on :) im sure you'll see my posts around somewhere.  

I've been into astronomy/star gazing for years and my uncle has a skywatcher 6" newtonian, sometimes ill go outside and just watch and see if anything catches my eye and im regularly tracking the satellites. I do have a Nikon dslr d3200 which i try to take full night sky shots and there not to bad but want to get more involved now and have decided to buy a telescope of my own and i am looking to us it for visual / astrophotography (Messier & DSO).  

Any recommendations? I know it might be the wrong home for this thread. 

I have a budget of around £2000 (can go over a little) for alot of the gear (telescope, mount, eye pieces, filters, power pack ect.) 

I've been looking at two and they both have good reviews but would like another opinion. 

Skywatcher 300PDS NEQ6 PRO GO-TO 

or  

Celestron C11 SCT VX GO-TO 

Like i said im a novice-intermediate at this but im not one to start small :D and i know before you say that they are BIG and weight alot but that doesn't put me off building it up and taking it down every night. It all part and parcel of the hobby.  

Thanks 

Matty

Hello Matty and Welcome to SGL. My understanding is that AP can be very expensive, but, don't let that put you off. The bigger the aperture the better the views of DSO's but the bigger aperture is not always better for AP. I'm sure more experienced members will give you plenty of advice so good luck with your choice of hobby ans let me know when you are going to buy your telescope. It will mean no viewing for me for a week or two !

Hi Matty and welcome to the forum. Any questions regarding equipment recommendations are best posted under the relevant topic sections as more people visit them than here in the welcome section.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi Matty another grimbarian here. Sound advice from Martin-H. Im off to Cleethorpes Astro aswell on Friday night. They also run a beginners course once a month on a Friday for a very small charge of £1. A few talks and the many hours of observing, usaully into the early hours weather permitting. They have their own observatory with a 16" sct type scope. Its an awsome night.

Clear skys.... Andy

Cheers guys, fellow grimsbians, i have been to the observatory in cleethorpes and spoke to some people a couple of months ago. I will post a voting thread on this subject and see what happens

Hi and welcome to SGL - As an imager I can say that the scopes you mention ....... for AP ..... are not ideal. Imaging and Visual have very different requirements, and AP benefits from a good solid mount (HEQ5 minimum) and a short focal length 80ED refractor. Many DSO's are quite a size. Have a look at the field of view calculator here http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php and put in your various scope camera combo - I bet you will find it quite an eye opener.

Also, go onto the FLO website (book section) and buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' - This is a DSO imagers bible and should be read a couple of times before you spend a single penny.

I started off with £2000, the kit I started off with was not ideal - I would definitely look at the HEQ5 and Skywatcher 80ED for starters.

Hope that helps.

Hi and welcome to SGL - As an imager I can say that the scopes you mention ....... for AP ..... are not ideal. Imaging and Visual have very different requirements, and AP benefits from a good solid mount (HEQ5 minimum) and a short focal length 80ED refractor. Many DSO's are quite a size. Have a look at the field of view calculator here http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php and put in your various scope camera combo - I bet you will find it quite an eye opener.

Also, go onto the FLO website (book section) and buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' - This is a DSO imagers bible and should be read a couple of times before you spend a single penny.

I started off with £2000, the kit I started off with was not ideal - I would definitely look at the HEQ5 and Skywatcher 80ED for starters.

Hope that helps.

Something like this? and thankyou for the detailed response. I would of course buy the flattener, book and DSLR adaptor ring.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-pro-heq5-pro.html

Hi Matty and welcome to SGL. You certainly have a big budget put aside for your AP, but all I would spend at the moment is the price of the book "MEPC" this should guide you down the road to some successful AP and the type of equipment required to achieve it, enjoy the forum :)

Archived