What's your favourite general purpose filter?

What's your favourite general purpose filter for visual use?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite general purpose filter for visual use?

• Antares Nebula
    • Antares LPR
    • Astronomica UHC
    • Astronomik CLS
    • Astronomik UHC
    • Astronomik UHC E
    • Baader Contrast Booster
    • Baader Neodymium
    • Baader UHC-S
    • Lumicon Deepsky
    • Lumicon UHC
    • Meade Nebular
    • Nebustar UHC
    • Orion SkyGlow
    • Orion Ultrablock

You may choose two filters, but only if they are both in first place! If I've forgotten any just post them in this thread.

I realise the result may be biased by users like me who've only ever tried a small handful of filters and only know of the more commonly cited ones.

Andrew

I had an orion skyglow in 1.25" and though it did what it said on the box I wasnt that happy with it.

A little while ago I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple of lumicon deepskys (1.25 and SCT fit) in a sale and have never looked back since.. Theyre ideal for my smaller aperture scopes.

Only filter I have is Lumicon UHC so I voted for that. For nebulas it's indispensible. Though the view of some bright ones (eg M42, Blinking Planetary) is better without.

Just out of interest, has anyone tried the seben orbinar UHC and OIII filters?

Not tried them but at least his right up is honest and informative. Quite tempted to try an OIII in my 10".

For the purpose of this vote i've gone with the Baader Neodymium. You simply don't any more 'General Purpose' than this filter. I leave it in for almost everything.

Russ

Quite a good description isn't it? I think i might order the UHC for my 10" Newt and then post a review.

In regards to this thread, i also use my baader neodymium more than any other filter, i couldn't see the GRS on Jupiter or Cassini division from my light polluted back garden until i used this filter.

Archived