Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

robbie c

Solar Eclipse There's some real con merchants out there

Got my Eclipse glasses from FLO £3:99, then I read that some people are charging up to £50 for a pair  :shocked:

So I had a quick look on e-bay and couldn't believe what some people are charging for them 

This one for instance http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-Eclipse-Safe-Cardboard-Glasses-CE-approved-x-2-/221717095762?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339f5e6552

Now I know most people want to make a profit but come on 

• Like 1

Omg, especially when they are free on the front cover at S@N mag! Profiteering or what, but these days some people would applaud the initiative; bit like a certain MP praising people buying up concert tickets and selling them off for similar %age mark ups.

I got a pair free from a solar outreach event & I take them everywhere so I can have a sneaky peek at the sun if I get time that is. I've even brought them with me to SGLX

• Like 1

We will be distributing them free to visitors on the day of the eclipse as part of the "Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project" which supports solar outreach worldwide.  :sad:

• Like 10

I will be handing them out free to the pupils at my son & daughters primary school, courtesy of the CBSAP.

• Like 4

I bought about ten pairs from FLO and handed them out to family and friends.

I wonder of the £40 ones can see through clouds? :grin:

• Like 2

Oh that is a shame, wonder if anyone has been taken in by these ads? I bought 10 pairs a couple of years ago for less than one pair at these prices to do a solar observing session at my local village show, they were used last year and will see some use on Friday a a public viewing, clouds permitting.

There's a pair advertised on there now for £70.00, but you do get free P&P! :rolleyes2:

My big worry is people selling dodgy stuff that could end up causing eye damage to people and especially children. :angryfire:     I have seen lots of stories everywhere about the eclipse but not that much on the dangers of looking at the Sun through unfiltered telescopes, binoculars or even camera viewfinders.

It is a real shame, but it always happens. I see many have silly bids on ebay.

The sad thing is that you'll not going to really see any detail and with the prospect of cloud then it could all be a little disappointing for many.

Lee

It appears that all the usual places are now sold out, so people can basically charge what they want :( Even S@N magazine seems to be sold out in the places I've looked!

If anyone knows where to get some reasonably-priced specs, I'd love to know!

It appears that all the usual places are now sold out, so people can basically charge what they want :( Even S@N magazine seems to be sold out in the places I've looked!

If anyone knows where to get some reasonably-priced specs, I'd love to know!

. Have you tried FLO. That's where I got mine they might be able to get them to you before Friday if your quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself a colander and use that to project the sun - it is really neat :-)

post-374-0-55717900-1426601875_thumb.jpg

Helen

• Like 5

Wow! Glad I got mine when I did I guess you've tried W.H. Smith to see if they've got S@N mag might be worth a try, anyway good luck mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Told you - sales have started already so I've bought 2 pairs of glasses, £0.99 per pair incl. free p+p.

Guaranteed delivery first thing on Saturday!!

Get yourself a colander and use that to project the sun - it is really neat :-)

attachicon.gifcolander.jpg

Helen

I saw that the other day and thought what an excellent idea.

Next eclipse maybe. :(

ugh! possible eye damage or buy the daily record, tough decision

I have a solution!

Wear the glasses when reading the paper. Problem solved :grin: :grin:

• Like 4

How about an arc welding mask tried it  earlier;- can hardly see the sun and it is VERY bright here today

Regards 

Robin

I'm going to give the binocular projection a try. Got my cardboard and gaffer tape ready! Fingers crossed for decent weather...!