Hi from Crewe

JohnHolloway

Hello all

I just bought a Celestron Nexstar evo 6 inch with  x-cel barlow x2 plus an x-cel 18mm and variable polarising filter, the scope came with a 40mm Eyepiece and 13mm Eyepiece, so I hope this will be reasonable balanced for using this for planets/the moon and whatever else I can find out there.

I had a 4 inch refractor from a very long time ago which basically died,  it took me some time trawling the internet for the right scope for my requirements (the more I looked the more confused I became) so I bit the bullet, lets hope I don't regret my purchase. I had very good info from the guys at Tring astronomy centre and after visiting and looking around this is what I came out with.

One thing I am struggling with is the red dot finder which seems to have mind of its own any suggestions?

All the best and I will be checking out all of the posts to assist me.

Cheers

John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi john and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net :D. Not far away, (newcastle) I don't mind red dot finders although I'm told the celestron ones are a bit iffy. I also have a telrad and it is streets ahead as far as being user friendly. good luck with your new bigboy toy anyway, hope it gives you years of pleasure :D

Hi John

I've got a Nexstar 4 that's a few years old, but the Celestron red dot design may not have changed much, so for what it's worth:

1. I've found on my Nexstar that when I've rushed to mount the red dot, I've sometimes not tightened it on to the mounting groove, but actually on to the plate beneath itself... Which meant it was way out of alignment compared to last set up.

2. The two adjustment wheels on the red dot seem to be completely non-linear in action -

Sometimes a quarter turn produces a huge adjustment, sometimes only a moderate amount. It is a little flakey.

So.. Before aligning my scope I tend to just quickly point at something bright like Sirius and just check the red dot and the scope are properly aligned. And once it's aligned I never adjust the red dot again that evening. It only takes me two ticks, and I quite enjoy the red dot to be honest...

Hi John and welcome

I got my forst scope, a 5SE in December and the RDF was among my first issues. They are fairly flimsy in my view, I had trouble getting my alignment and then it died totally. Having said that i recevied a replacement and i have to say it works perfectly everytime, i dont need to readjust etc.

So maybe luck of the draw, i am sure others at SGL will have views on alternatives.

Cheers

Mark

hi john and a warm welcome to the lounge,

bob.

Archived