30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

Eclipse viewing

Hi Everyone, hopefully the weather is going to be kind to everyone with a chance to see the Eclipse on Friday.

With that in mind, I have a question, that might seem a bit obvious to some, but as I've not really done much solar stuff, I hope you can advise me.

At the moment I have a Baader solar Filter

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

For my SW Evostar 80 ED DS-Pro, but I'm thinking of getting this Lunt/ Herschel wedge

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/lunt-white-light-herschelsolar-wedge.html

So my question is would I still need the Baader filter on the front of the scope, as the heat generated may damage my scope, or will the Lunt wedge be all that I need.

Many Thanks in advance

:)

The Lunt wedge and appropriate filters will do the job. If the wedge comes with an ND3.0 filter built in you are to go. A polarising filter really is a good idea also,it REALLY cuts down on the glare. 

The filter you already have will do just fine. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html

Clear skies.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

Thanks for replying Luke,

So I don't need the Baader on the front then, as the wedge has a ND 3.0 filter built in., but I need to use my polarising moon filter, to cut down the glare.

Is that right, or have I misunderstood.

Sorry just need to clarify, for my own piece of mind :)

Tums,

If you use a Wedge with a refractor you won't need to use to use Baader's Solar Film. Recall, that a Wedge can only be used with refractors. Any type of reflecting scope is a no go area.

I use Lunt's Wedge 1.25" with the necessary ND 3.0 filter actually built into it. Some wedges don't have this feature, so make sure that if you buy a Wedge, you're aware that it already carries the ND 3.0 or not.  To be on the safe side and to ensure you get an excellent service, I'd give FLO a ring and buy from them.

A variable polariser and Baader continuum filter are also extremely useful in terms of visual work with the Wedge but not necessary in terms of health and safety. If either one of these two filters are taken from the eyepiece, I find the image too bright to work with and quite a bit of detail and contrast missing. Needless to say, all eyes are different, so it's probably worth buying the variable polariser and experimenting with a simple green colour filter like a Wratten #58 before purchasing the more expensive Continuum.

In the TV 76 f6.3 with a Lunt Herschel Wedge, I find a 9mm B.G Ortho my most used eyepiece. It offers 53x magnification and an ample 0.7º true field of view. If seeing is good and I want to hone in on a little detail, I might up the power to a general maximum of 80x. It's very much the same story with the Tal 4" f10 but with different eyepieces. The most used eyepiece in that scope is the 19mm Panoptic, giving about 53x and 1.2º true field of view. Either way, the smaller 3" APO doesn't give anything away to the 4" in terms of resolution, contrast, quality of detail and so on.

When seeing is good, a lot of detail can be tweaked in white light and I found the Wedge to be a nice step up from Baader's excellent Solar Film. Although initial costs may seem high, if you enjoy solar observing you'll probably find the wedge and filters one of your most used astro-accessories and so in relative terms, will be one of your cheapest buys.You will be able to detect subtle differences in tone in some umbrae - a kind of very deep dark brown, you'll be able to identify pores, light bridges and subtle streaking within the penumbrae. Faculae will also be very prominent and generally suggests the promise of new activity in the next day or so.

• Like 2

Thanks for replying Luke,

So I don't need the Baader on the front then, as the wedge has a ND 3.0 filter built in., but I need to use my polarising moon filter, to cut down the glare.

Is that right, or have I misunderstood.

Sorry just need to clarify, for my own piece of mind :)

If you have a Hershel wedge with a 3.0 ND filter already fitted...............you dont need anything else. Just really make sure the wedge has the ND 3.0 filter included. If all you have is the baader solar filter as above that goes at the other end (objective lens) of the scope to where you observe from...........you are also good to go.

You dont need both.

Rob explained it better then i could.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 2

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your posts, the Lunt wedge from FLO, that I'm looking to buy has the ND3.0 built in, so I should be o.k.

Let's hope for clear skies on Friday, going to join up with Shropshire Astro Society, on a hill just outside Shrewsbury. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks again. :)

• Like 2

I just ordered a sheet of Baader AstroSolar film, which hopefully will arrive on Wednesday.

I also picked my spot in our local park in North London, although the weather previsions don't look particularly promising in my area...

prevision.jpg

If all goes to plan, the sky should clear right after the event vis.gif

I just ordered a sheet of Baader AstroSolar film, which hopefully will arrive on Wednesday.

I also picked my spot in our local park in North London, although the weather previsions don't look particularly promising in my area...

prevision.jpg

If all goes to plan, the sky should clear right after the event vis.gif

Where did you order from? Everywhere I am looking is sold out :(