sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi I have been learning how to use pixinsight and have managed a few things to get better images but I seem to be stuck on saving the image? I have saved as a fit file but when I reopen it with pixinsight its back to the original (dark image) also I want to open it with lightroom but dont know what the best format is I have tried saving both as a FIT and also as JPEG but cant open them except in pixinsight, what am I doing wrong

Did you do a histogram stretch on it as it will still be a linear image if not. Don't ask me to explain what a linear image is though as that's way above my pay grade at the moment! :grin:

As I said, I'm no expert but I would highly recommend checking out the tutorials on harry's astroshed, they helped both myself & many many others to get a hang of PixInsight & I reckon you'll benefit from harry's advice as well.

HTH,

Jeff

• Like 1

LR should open JPEGs? I would save as TIFF 16 bit and untick the ICC profile box

Also do not forget the auto Screen stretch is only temporary and will not save any settings

Edited by tingting44

That'll be it.

In a 'linear' image a part that is twice as bright as another part is given twice the brightness. A part that is 4x as bright gets 4x the brightness. When we stretch we change all that. The fainter signal is made brighter by a far greater amount than the brighter signal.

Olly

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH, so frustrating I took a lovely photo loads of detail in it looks great when I play with it in pixinsight every damm time I save it to tweak in lightroom and every time it ends up original. all i want is a button that will save it as is. I am going through Harrys videos and copying him as I,m watching I just need to save it and keep the changes how hard can it be lol, walk away from it have a cuppa  dont think about it then go back

STF is really just there to give a quick visualization of what the stretched image will look like. It's best to use Histogram Transformation where you can control the stretch and the black point more easily. Harry has a vid on this.

Olly

I,m doinfg something wrong thats just staring at me, I have opened a new pic and havnt touched the STF just the histogram and cant get it anywhere near to what it was, and still cant save it without it reverting back

The histogram stretch needs to very aggressive. As others have said, you would do well to watch Harry's PixInsight videos (do a Google search). In brief, however, switch on the preview and drag the centre slider WAY to the left - almost over the left-hand slider. You will get something close to what the STF shows you. Remember to apply the transformation to your image. You may need to stretch 2 or 3 times.

Once stretched, you have gone non-linear. STF is there because a number of processes are best done in the linear stage. STF allows you to see what changes you making.

Edited by gnomus

Hi I have been learning how to use pixinsight and have managed a few things to get better images but I seem to be stuck on saving the image? I have saved as a fit file but when I reopen it with pixinsight its back to the original (dark image) also I want to open it with lightroom but dont know what the best format is I have tried saving both as a FIT and also as JPEG but cant open them except in pixinsight, what am I doing wrong

STF is there just to show you what is in the data and it keeps the data linear. HIstogram Stretch is the tool to use if you want to save for PS processing. Save as 16 bit Unsigned Integer Tiff and play later in PS. You do not need to always convert with STF parameters as it is up to you which part of the data need more stretching than others though STF parameters usually do a decent job with high signal images. You can also save as a project so that you could come back to it later at any stage of processing but you do need to have a huge had drive for this.

A.G

Right im going to give it another go, I did try stretching without using STF at all just histogram stretch, its something simple that im overlooking, I put some photos up in widefield images I,m sure i got a shooting star in the one

Its not something like re opening the original instead of the saved version is it? Can you see the different versions & modification time/date in explorer/finder?

... just thinking right back to basics. If its been saved as the same filename but different extension and extension type display is turned off maybe. Or saved in a different location?

there is a little shortcut - open up the STF tool and apply it, so you can see what you want the image to look like.  Then while keeping that tool open, you then open the Histogram Transfer tool, drag the little arrow triangle thing from the bottom left of the STF dialogue box onto the bottom line (the status bar bit) of the Histogram Tool - this copies in the same stretch into the tool.  Then drag the little triangle from the Histogram Tool onto the image, which then applies it.  Then save the image.

Once you've got the hang of it you'll probably want to do your own histogram stretch rather than use the STF one.

You can see what the image looks like without a stretch if you turn off the little TV icon in the tool bar.  

You can tell if a stretch is applied to an image you're looking at if the tab name at the side of the image is underlined in green (stretched) or not.

Hopefully this scribble makes it clear:

post-30803-0-38348300-1426441305_thumb.j

• Like 2

First of all I would like to thank you all for taking the time to explain everything to me, AHA think I got it trouble is I dont know how I got it lol, its a great tool and I probably overcooked everything but its my first stretch type thing. Hopefully I will be able to add a photo of it here now as you can see the file is named tryagain lol

post-25141-0-56273200-1426448017_thumb.j

• Like 4