SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

telescope storage

Hello all,

At the moment my 200 PDS is stored vertically in the garage but I'm having a clean out and a sizable shelf on my racking is now clear. I know this might be a silly question but would it be OK to store it on its side?

I'm sure it is but would like some confirmation before it moves to its new home.

Cheers

Davie

Should be ok, sure it came in the box that way?

I'm in the process of building a cupboard for my telescope which lives in the kitchen?

its properly covered and stowed fully ready to go, but I'd like a little more solid protection around the scope, and maybe a few shelves for stowage of equipment, books ect.

Ditto, planted in the con(ob)servatory.

@Charic, I would be concerned about keeping any optics in a kitchen due to the changes in temprature and the possibility of steam / grease ingress onto the scope.

@Rwilkey, nearly at 3000 posts. Great contribution.

Thanks for the replies

The garage is the only option to be honest and has been since I began this hobby, anywhere else and the kids will more than likely have it broken in days.

Its now on its side next to the mount on my racking. Next time I get a couple of hours spare I'll see about making a box for it

I keep my scopes stored in the typical locker rooms they have in Spanish flats. It remains cool in summer and dry in winter. I feel the key point in telescope storing is good ventillation; free flowing air will stop the buildup of moisture that would be a problem in damper countries like the UK or more humid areas like the east coast of Spain.

My fracs are canvas bagged, the Lunt is in its case and the truss dob remains fully assembled, covered in its shroud and its mirror protected by a wooden board. If I had a tube-newt, I think I'd leave it set up and use something like a bed sheet with a cord running through it to tie things up or else find a suitable sized shower cap for the mirror end and sheet drapped over the front to keep dust off the finders.

I agree with Damien about the concern of keeping a scope in the kitchen. Not so much due to temperature changes which might occur (here it can climb or drop 20ºC and more in a day) but more to the molecules of cooking grease and vapour that will inevitably be produced. 

I keep my telescope in my bedroom.

I just reduced it's height to the minimum which is like 2 feet, extended the tripod so it doesn't fall, and put on all the covers.

Make sure it's not too close to the heat though. :evil:

As pointed out, the effects from cooking, over a period of time, could leave greasy deposits and particulates adhearing to that grease, on various surfaces around the kitchen, that if not dealt with, builds up over time.....

I have an extraction system, to filter any cooking by-products, but nothing is 100% effective, and my kitchen still needs cleaning but more so my telescope is double wrapped?

I have a cotton sheet draped around the scope, and a heavy duty clear plastic over cover that covers the whole scope including its base, and both covers have been tailored for a secure fitting. There has not been any signs of contamination since owning this scope, and the outer cover could easily be wiped if any substance was ever found over its surface......... So far so good.

In one corner of my kitchen is a boxed section that hides some pipework leading to the upper floors, one of my intentions was to make a similar boxed housing/cupboard for the telescope and its accessories, and with the external finish being the same colour as the surrounding walls, the contents would become inconspicuous.

My scopes are stored in the kitchen, my Dob is covered with a dust sheet to protect from the cooking greases etc as another poster has mentioned. My other scopes are all stored in cases or suitable bags.

Hi, my dob has been stored in a shed for the past two years and I had no problems at all. It's covered to try and keep the dust & insects out. Good thing is its aways cooled down and takes no time to set up, gives me the opportunity to get an hour of viewing which I probably wouldnt bother with if I had to carry it from the house.

Archived