Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimate on with laser please help!!

So I bought a laser collimator for my xt8 dobsonian, I am a little confused, I know the target side ion the laser is suppose to face the primary mirror , why for instance if I spin the laser around the focused or fitting where you place it, why does the laser not remain center? It moves around quite a bit causing it to not be in the donut circle. When the laser sticks out to the ceiling, this means the primary mirror is not properly adjusted right? Light is escaping and not hitting the secondary? . Everything is collimated now I think, when I look thru the manual collimator peephole, I can see everything on target, however the primary mirror is not exactly centered so that all four parts of the divided mirror due to the spider vanes can be seen, my question is , did I do everything correctly? I mean I think I notice a slight difference.

what this means is your laser colimator is not colimated. you first need to colimate your laser. make a v block or buy one, or you might have one. clamp it to a flat surface and rotate your laser in the v section with a spot around 5 metres away. the laser dot should stay in the same location as its rotated, if not you need to colimate it. there should be some dots near the brightness adjuster these are painted black,under the black glue stuff theres screws to colimate it,adjust one and put it back in the v block and rotate, keep doing this until you get it right. if no screws then return it to were you bought it from

Wow , you guys are the best on here. I was able to see the Screws to collimate my laser with the given intstuctions. I also went to youtube, and saw that video. Excuse my ignorance, I guess I'm probably moving a little to fast. I did read a few articles on how to climate with the laser, however it did not mention the collimate on of the laser itself.

Wow , you guys are the best on here. I was able to see the Screws to collimate my laser with the given intstuctions. I also went to youtube, and saw that video. Excuse my ignorance, I guess I'm probably moving a little to fast. I did read a few articles on how to climate with the laser, however it did not mention the collimate on of the laser itself.

i bought "a good laser" which was not colimated, i corrected it and it is good and great to use on your own

Archived