SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trip to Chile

TheMightyKong

Hello everybody,

I'm going on a trip to Chile with 2 mates from next Friday. I'm wondering if anyone here is from Chile or has been before. We're planning our time there will be going to San Pedro de atacama but does anyone know if it's easy to see any of the observatories? One of the others has a passing interest in astronomy but the other does not so won't be able to spend a lot of time on a multi day trek just to the observatories. Any of them near any interesting non astro things?

Thanks!

I've been to Cerro Tololo but it was some time ago (1998) and I did have telescope time so I can't really help you much there. I have however found this which may be useful.

http://www.ctio.noao.edu/noao/content/Tololo-and-Tourism

There are various sections about tourism in general and astro tourism so you might find something. As for non astronomy things, I found Chile to be a wonderful country so you should have no problems there, I seem to remember La Serena (a nearby town) was particularly nice.

Good luck and enjoy!

I passed through San Pedro in 2003 before I really got into astronomy so I'm not sure on access to the observatories.

I remember the place as being extremely hot and sandy. Not much in the town itself, just plenty of tour operators on the main high street along with cafes/restaurants, internet cafes and a few bars.

Obviously you've got the desert and salt flats for excursions. Also there is the Lunar Valley which is amazing. They all have breathtaking scenery, hugh skies and mind-blowingly gorgeous sunrises and sunsets.

I did try sandboarding on the local dunes - prepare to break a leg!!

But one thing I specifically remember was the camping. Each night I slept outside of the tent under the most amazingly clear and dark and twinkly skies with the Milky Way arching overhead :grin:

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Hi Everybody,

Thank you all for your advice. Our plans have changed somewhat. We are now going to spend a week hiking in deep south Patagonia in the Torres del Paine then I'm going to spend four days based in Atacama looking round the lunar valley, tatio geyser fields and salar de atacama. Apparently there are some tour companies that do stargazing excursions based in the town but by then the moon will be against me.

Leaving tomorrow afternoon so quite excited now!

Archived