Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi All

I downloaded a trial version of PixInsight yesterday and this is my first attempt to use it on one of my captures from last year.

The colour is much better and overall noise is lower. "Harry's tutorials" have helped enourmously but I think it will take me a while to master even a small number of the many functions that PixInsight contains.

Cheers

Mike

Lagoon Nebula

• Like 4

Details:

Messier 8, NGC 6523 - Lagoon Nebula

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian.

Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount

Orion auto guider - PHD2.

Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector, UHC-S 'nebula' filter.

Nikon D300 (unmodified).

Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.

UHC-S 23 x 240 sec ISO200 (14bit NEF).

PixInsight and Photoshop

2 August 14 (reprocessed PixInsight March 15)

That is lovely Mike. It is a shame that this target is not available to me for imaging from my location but last summer I observed it using a 15 X 70 Bino while I was on holiday in Spain and the entire Sagittarius region was very rewarding.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks A.G.

I was blessed with many clear nights back when this was taken in late winter. Not so the last two months - we have had high humidity that most nights turns to cloud up here in the mountains above Sydney. Oh well, can't last forever ...

Great image- one of my favourite objects, just wish it was a bit higher in the sky from the UK!

Great image- one of my favourite objects, just wish it was a bit higher in the sky from the UK!

Thank you.

We are lucky 'down here' - in particular because the air is relatively free from dust and pollutants; although there are still many objects that are too far North for us to see.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EMG
      Recently I bought a ZWO ASI178MM for planetary/lunar/deep-sky imaging and last weekend i had clear skies so I was able to capture videos of the moon in two panels. I have already processed the videos in AutoStakkert, I used 3x drizzle because I intend to print the image so now I have two 120MB TIFF images that i would like to combine in a two panel mosaic. I tried doing it in Hugin, a free panorama stitcher but the program crashes due to the file sizes being too large. I have searched for tutorials on using DynamicAlignment in PixInsight but it seems to me that i'll need a reference image to be able to create mosaics in PixInsight. Is there any way to go about this, I feel like this should be a pretty straightforward job but I am not very experienced in PI so I would really appreciate some advice.

I tried using DynamicAlignment as you can see in the attached screenshot but the result was just a cut version of the target image, aligned perfectly to the source image. It would be perfect if it didn't cut off the lower part of the target image.

• By kryptonite
      I'm not experienced with LRGB imaging, so thought i'd give it a go on M81. However, when i combine the 4 individually processed integrations i end up with horrible colour hues across the image - they're all aligned and wotnot. Am i running into the issues of light pollution (inside the M25), which i can only remove with aggressive DBE application?  Individual files attached.

• By kryptonite
      I've got a 5 year old desktop, which i think performs decently and does my Pixinsight processing pretty well. However, i want to change to a laptop for the form-factor, but i don't want to compromise on performance.
      This is my rig: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/27054387
      What machine do you use and how does it perform with Pixinsight? Any folk familiar with computer hardware able to provide steer on whether i'm due an upgrade?
      Looking to understand how others do their processing.
    • By chriscoles
      Hi, I have taken mono LRGB images of M51 with my new ASI1600mm-PRO.
      I have a mix of 30s, 60s, 120s subs. 100 darks, and 100 flats for each filter. About 4 hours total.
      I Used DSS for alignment and stacking, then Pixinsight for LRGB combination.
      My issue is that i'm not happy with the colours, the stars all appear white and the background is strange.
      I have attached the Aligned LRGB images.
      Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Green.TIF red.TIF Lum.TIF B.TIF
    • By bencevokoszt
      Hey guys, can you help me with how to fix this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.