Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Tot

l'm almost looking forward to the wet/cloudy weather forecast for the next few days

The coming wet weather is the perfect opportunity to treat my baby to some upgrades and mods. My XT10i is to be pampered with:

Telrad finder on a 4" riser

Primary mirror cooling fan

Protostar flocking

Bob's Knobs on secondary

Moonlite CR2 focuser

Fingers crossed it all goes well and my baby will be even more wonderful. :-)

• Like 1

Ha ha!

Ok. I'm sort of looking forward to the poor weather that I am going to experience at my house over the next few days. May those who don't live in my vicinity have beautiful, crisp, clear skies.

Better? :-)

Great. Hope you enjoy clear skies whilst I'm working inside on my baby.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By etsatlo
      Looking to upgrade from my current 4.5" EQ reflector to an 8" Dob.
      Not particularly concerned with brand and don't mind used condition provided all is in good working order.
      Bundled accessories are a bonus (EPs and filters especially) though not a must.
      Based in North Wiltshire and happy to drive to collect within reasonable distance (<1hr30).
    • By long_arms
      Hello, 
      It's been a long time since I've posted in this forum, anyway I've picked up a Skywatcher 200p F/6 dobsonian as a DIY project whilst I continue to work on a new telescope from scratch, (I've started to grind the mirror). 
      I'll be making improvements to this dobsonian as a project and learning experience, I've already got a temperature controlled fan which has a probe that can measure both mirror and ambient temperature. I'll be measuring the primary mirror with my in progress Foucault/Ronchi/Bath Tester when that's finished in the next couple of weeks,  may even refigure it depending on results.
      But I'm most excited about this right now. The blackest Black Paint as an alternative (hopefully better alternative) to flocking!
      This stuff is seriously black and flat, I backed it on kickstarter and received 3 bottles along with goodies.

I plan on painting the area opposite the focuser, area around the primary mirror, inside the focuser drawtube, potentially the secondary mirror holder and edge of the secondary also. 
      It's a shame I don't have any flocking to compare it with but it looks incredible. 
      This video shows just how impressive it is (moreso than my little tester I've done).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJIIzcbRD9w

I'll try and get some decent before and after pics. 

Dan

• By Pogo007
      Hope someone with more experience than I, which basically means anyone that has successfully collimated a Newtonian, can answer a couple of compound questions I have based on my first and only attempt at secondary collimation of my SkyWatcher Flextube 250.
      1) All three of my secondary collimation screws were extremely snug before I did anything and I was only able to comfortably turn them counter-clockwise.  Is this normal?  Do I need to loosen all three screws first before I can properly start collimation?  Should I be turning any screw beyond "snug"?
      2) Before collimating, I placed a yellow sheet inside my OTA opposite my focuser tube and I placed a red sheet between my secondary and primary.  The view this gave through my focuser tube was of a red circle surrounded by a partial yellow ring (the secondary mirror stalk blocking a portion of this yellow annulus). While independently turning each of the secondary collimation screws counter-clockwise I looked down the focuser tube (both with and without a sight tube installed) expecting to see some change in the shape of the red area (more or less circular) and/or the yellow area (less or more even thickness).  I turned the screws no more that 2 complete revolutions.  I did not perceive any appreciable difference in what I saw and I turned each screw back (clockwise) to their original tightness before working with another of the screws.   Does it make sense that I didn't perceive any change?   Should I have turned the screws more revolutions?   Should I have loosened more than one at a time?
      Very confused and looking for your help.  Thanks
    • By Kronos831
      Hello guys,my 8" dob is arriving soon.
      I have trouble setting my expectations
      Since i have looked through my 3 " dob its hard picturing what i could see with an 8" one.i live in a light polluted city.
      Can i look at any dsos directly?
      How will they look like using adverted vision?
      What can i expect to see?
      Also which all around filter should i buy (2") to look at dsos and maybe some planets?
      Thanks
      Kronos
    • By Greg6498
      After adding several large two-inch eyepieces and an Explore Scientific illuminated finder scope, my dob was quite top heavy. To remedy this, I added two 18” bar magnets to the bottom portion of the scope. Balance now seems nearly perfect! Got this idea from another post I read a while back on SGL!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.