Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flame to Sword update (130pds)

Uranium235

I think time is just about up on Orion, I cant see me adding any more in the near future so its time to wrap it up for next winter. Ive added another 2 hours of non-moony subs to help with the noise.

As usual Ive deployed the star hammer to knock back Alnitak and a few of the other stars that turn into ruffy bloaters when you develop the image. Some selective high pass and selective contrast enhancement was also applied, enough to perk up the Flame, HH and M42 - but leave the rest alone.

So, as it stands:

2.5hr (in 600 & 900s subs), 2x2 bin, x6 panes (Ha)

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6, SWCC

Thanks for looking :)

16762841046_594bc26602_o.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super image, Rob... :icon_salut:.   Although this stands up REALLY well on it's own as a mono, I really hope you can get the colour on this next year... :smiley:

Heh :) Colour is the plan eventually, it wouldnt take much to go over this in OIII since its only going to be present in M42 and the flame. Maybe this time next year!

Magnificent.  Excuse my ignorance but what is "star hammer"?  (A Bing search only turned up references to a computer game!)

Thanks :)  "Star Hammer" is the term I use for the layer mask method that concentrates on stars only. I did a little tutorial on it in the imaging techniques sub-forum, and will be covering the same process during the SGLX NB processing sessions (Fri/Sat), three places are still open for the Saturday session.

I thinks that's a super crisp image Rob - I really like it, top notch. The framing really is rather unusual and works very well in deed in my opinion. Top class - Well done :)

Thanks Sara! I had little choice on the framing really as its the most I could squeeze out of 580mm focal length, so one or two of the overlaps are a bit tight (hopefully the join doesnt show too much!).

Thanks :)  "Star Hammer" is the term I use for the layer mask method that concentrates on stars only. I did a little tutorial on it in the imaging techniques sub-forum, and will be covering the same process during the SGLX NB processing sessions (Fri/Sat), three places are still open for the Saturday session.

Thats one nice image and the hammer works very well.

So I'll beproducing that after sglx?

I will expect nothing less ;) ....lol... Well, you will have the raw data to take away so its something to practice on as well :) 

I could have used this one as part of the session, but it took nearly two hours (just in photoshop) and doesnt include the time it takes for calibration, registration and sticking the panes together. Hmmm.... perhaps I can pop it on the memory stick as a "homework challenge".

I will expect nothing less ;) ....lol... Well, you will have the raw data to take away so its something to practice on as well  :)

I could have used this one as part of the session, but it took nearly two hours (just in photoshop) and doesnt include the time it takes for calibration, registration and sticking the panes together. Hmmm.... perhaps I can pop it on the memory stick as a "homework challenge".

Ah Rob, you've just reminded me I need to get a memory stick :D

I'd have to describe that as perfect. It is sharp, clean, contrasty, well composed and has great little stars.

Hats off once again.

Olly

Thanks Olly, its your advice i had in mind when putting this version together ("must leave stars out of sharpening/contrast!"). The first run had dark halos, so after a bit of thinking time (I like to visualise the process before following it through) I went back and tried again by first making a sharpened version, then using an inverted star selection to pick up everything except the stars. Then finally pasted that in as a new layer + layer mask to restrict where its applied.

Archived